What do you all think of Mark Hopuss's style of playing?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I think that the man has MUCH talent! He is incredible.
  2. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    hmm...this is a tough one
    I'm surprised someone hasn't jumped into this thread and started ripping the hell out of Mark Hoppus already. It seems like a lot of people don't like him I guess, but I do. I could do without some of his stupid comments sometimes, but other than that, I like him because I think he (and Tom) are really really excellent songwriters, and I respect waaaay more than some technical wizard who's full of himself up there on the stage ripping out flawless lines of solos. So someone's good at PLAYING the bass, that's great, fine. But, the question is, can he write a song (not just a big solo) and make it sound good? Now I'm not saying that a great technical player can't be a good songwriter at the same time (there are many examples), but I'm just pointing out there's more to playing music than just flawless playing.

Mark Hoppus is a pretty decent bass player---you can't deny that. He doesn't suck or anything, it's just that he doesn't play any fantasic riffs in his songs so people say he can't play well. I mean, there are a few cool bass lines in some blink songs......"Mutt" and "Man Overboard" are a couple of examples. I really just enjoy listening to Blink-182's music rather than picking apart their playing. So yes, I think Mark Hoppus is a good bass player overall. I'll leave it at that.
  3. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    the song carousel has a cool bass intro by blink
  4. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Aren't you the same guy who defended Sam Rivers?

5. extra stalking points for you :D
  6. i dont agree with mark hoppus being called a "excellent" player, but his stuff is pretty good. i like alot of his stuff from "dude ranch" and ive never heard anything from cheshire cat, so i cant comment on that. but i hear cheshire cat is their best cd. and on the live cd he sounds pretty good.

and btw, i never commented on the sam rivers thread, but i do think hes a good bass player, IMHO better than hoppus.
  7. I think Blink 182's music is enjoyable, that can only be a credit to Mark.
  8. i can't claim to have extensive knowledge of the blink 182 catalogue, but from what i've heard you could train a monkey to play those lines. granted, being a technical wizard isn't important, but he could at least have some creativity.

all IMO of course. :rolleyes:
  9. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    uhh.....you're referring to the SONG "Pathetic" (off Dude Ranch), right?

If you are.....then yeah, that's a good song.
    I don't quite know why you mentioned it though.
  10. No..more of a description of his bass playing. Although, Duderanch is a very good CD. It seems like Mr. Hoppus had SOME degree of creativity back in Dude ranch and Cheshire, but now in Bhudda, Enema, Mark Tom etc, he isn't even putting the effort.
    Money and 12 year old MTV groupies calling themselves punk seems enough for them. Why fix it if it's not broken, eh?
  11. i know im pathetic i knew when she said it......oh yeah you werent referring to the actual song. ;) :p
  12. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Well if your into underground punk ska and hardcore like i am, you would say that blink 182 F***ing suck,
    and it is true,
    but i do have to say, mark is not a bad bassplayer,
    but blink just plain suck, the only thing half decent about them is the bassplayer, but they can't sing for crap in my opinion,if u want good punk,
    check out choking victim and leftover crack
    at http://www.freespeech.org/crackrocksteady
    now that has some phat bass riffs,
    along with ingenious guitar playing incredible lyrics and
    flawless drumming.
    have a nice day
  13. One thing you need to understand is that they play punk music. Punk usually doesn't have the most incredible bass lines, but they can be very entertaining. There are bands that do have amazing bassists though. Anyway, Mark Hoppus makes a good punk bassist. He can play well with a pick and he seems to have a good foundation on building songs.
  14. BLINK 182 IS A PUNK BAND?????????
    COULD IT BE??? :confused:
  15. It may be shocking, but many people consider them a punk band. Just one that turned pop and is now looked down upon in the punk world.
  16. phunkjam, i don't know what blink 182 was before, but they're certainly not punk now. and saying that most punk doesn't have good basslines is exactly the kind of comment that makes the uneducated look down on the genre, along with Merlin's 3-chord jokes. the fact is, there are both great chord progressions and great basslines in a lot of punk. i can partially excuse the blandness of mark's lines because he sings at the same time a lot (same with nofx), but NOT because it's "punk." which it's not, anyway.
  17. yeah they have that pop-punk sense to them. genre wise its called "power pop" and i think some call it "sub-pop" its basically a way of saying punk music that got slightly crapped out. they are a good band (IMO of course), but certainly would not fit in the same category as groups like bad religion, nofx, etc.
  18. I accept the notion that they basically are a pop band now, but most people in my experience don't like punk b/c of who knows why. Personally I do like a lot of punk music. There are punk bands with great bassists like NOFX and stuff, but most people who don't like it would think it's purely root note stuff. I didn't mean to imply that punk had no good bass lines.
  19. Sure, the riffs are a tad bit simple, but do your really need to play really good riffs for punk? I didn't think so. Plus, he is really creative, hence he sells alot. So give him a break, will ya?