Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you all think of the Warwick Corvette standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Mar 10, 2005.

1. So I was just wondering what do you all think of the Warwick Standard Corvette. How's the sound,feel, and I would also like to know how versatile is it considering it only has volume,?,? knobs and two pickups. How is it for the money? Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great bass. Maybe my favorite Warwick bc it is very basic, yet classic , in my eyes. Sounds great, is comfortable to play (for me) but take note that the neck isnt exactly small, it has some mass to it, but it is cut comfortably. It is as versatile as any bass with a jazz/jazz pickup setup, but not as much as basses with active preamps etc.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My fave Warwick overall. I dislike most of the active basses I have played (both active pickup and preamp). The only complaint I had with one was on a six string model with a B that was too floppy for my liking.

They have a simple, growly tone that excels at every technique I use on it. Buy used (pre 98 if possible) if you are interested as 1. no resale hit 2. The brass just-a-nut is much more durable that the graphite one 3. The coveted wenge neck (though I think the newer okangkol models sound just as good)

I absolutely love the neck shape though. Imagine Jazz spacing with the chunky neck contour of a Precision, that is really the only way I can describe it. Not for everyone, but it fits my big hands with short fingers perfectly.

Good luck
    Adam

4. I have just bought a second hand corvette standard fretless, with the wenge neck, and I have restrung it BEAD. It is not as thunderous as my Yamaha humbucking 5 string, but it a has its own distinctive J-type sound.

The original strap was leather top/leather underside, and I had a neck dive problem because it was slippery, but with a leather top/suede underside strap, that has been cured.

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great bass, used mine exclusively for 7 years until I switched over to a 5-string Warwick. I found it to be very versatile as is, but sometimes used it with an outboard preamp to spice things up. Worked great live and in the studio. It is a heavy bass but the excellent balance compensates for the weight. Regarding the neck, the newer Warwicks (I've noticed) are a bit thicker but as stated previsously, it still retains the width of 1.5". I find the neck puts my hand in a nice playing position and is still comfortable. Others may disagree, but we all have different preferences. Definitely try one out before making a decision, and make sure you try it out sitting and standing w/ a strap.

6. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I'm a passive kinda guy...I bought mine used, a '99 but still w/ the wenge neck/fingerboard combo...I love it, its more versatile than any of my other basses, the guy I bought it from had put in Dimarzio ultra J's and they sound awesome...the only work i had to do with it is to shield the electronics cavity. but now that that is done, its way quiet, with a great woodsy tone, I'd definantly get another one if it were stolen/etc...I'd highly recommend it, although I'd look for a good used one w/ a wenge neck rather than paying GC (or wherever) $900ish for a new one w/o the wenge.

7. Played the fretless version, loved it loved it loved it.

Yummy to hear, to play, and to see.