Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you all think of this one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sutton, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7311548803&rd=1

I know is cheap, and an Ebay brand, but I love the shape of it. I'm thinking about possibly buying one, gutting it, and basically modding it so the only thing orginal is the body. But then again, the body is made of "Basswood" does anyone know anything about this stuff? Is this worth playing around with, or better off just left alone

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Basswood is used a lot in cheap basses, Ibanez GSR's are Basswood for example. Its just a cheap tone wood, nothing special.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Ehh, ok, I reallyl ike the look of it, I dont want to play around with making larger neck pockets and whatnot, I guess I'll just stay away from it

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm debating it more and more. I really like the shape of the body, its kinda like a corvette on drugs. But I dont want it to be really messy. I doubt its worht fixing up, I'll just stick with my Lakland purchase idea

5. Basswood is used in some not so cheap basses as well. IME there's nothing wrong with it.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah I didnt mean to pigeon hole it or downplay it at all, its inexpensive (not cheap), and has a lot of versatility as a tone wood, and is easy to find and work with.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If it sounds to good to be true, and you're on ebay, then it probably is! I wouldn't touch that thing with YOUR $$. Then again, if you've got it to spend...if you do go for it, let us know how it turned out, I'd be curious!