What Do You All Think? Time for an Elrick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 16, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Another temptation has come my way from a previous Chicago supplier of mine. As you can see from the photo, I am tempted to sell the Cirrus 5 for this baby. Now it will be difficult, but the upgrades from the Cirrus are huge, believe or not. Barts, zero fret, 3 lbs. lighter, passive option, Bart preamp, hand-made, etc. But am I going to not like the infamous Jazz vibe?? The present owner says all tones are available and the bass is absolutely 100% mint. Your thoughts?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My thoughts? Let me know if you don't want it.

3. i could never stand the acid trip of a headstock on those but if it sounded good enough i think i could overlook it. it's definitely got some advantages over the cirrus and as matter of fact i was thinking about getting an elrick to replace my cirrus.
  4. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    BUY THE ELRICK!!!!!!!!

The headstock is ugly... but it's an Elrick!
  5. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am not too fond of the headstock either, but hey, it's an Elrick! Did I just hear someone say that?
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No, you just read someone say that....:p

Seriously, though, if the deal is sound monetarily, grab the Elrick while you can. You can always pick up another Cirrus, and I don't think you'd have any trouble unloading the ELrick if it isn't your style.

Also, you might grow to like the headstock. I used to not like the headstock on my US Curbows, but now I really do. And, that Elrick looks pretty astounding, IMHO.
  7. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I love the look of the Elrick jazzbasses... I've never played one, and probably never will in Sweden, but the 24-fret model is one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen! I love jazz basses, and if it has that vibe, i'd yank it right away!
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i REALLY like elricks, but i have to say that the bart electronics definitely make it sound like more of a bart-equipped bass than a jazz bass. so maybe it'll be closer to your cirrus than you think.

but they're some of the best basses out there, IMO. you won't be dissapointed.

(my dream elrick....neck thru 5'er, mahogany body w/bubinga top, wenge neck, ebony board, 34" scale, gold hardware, u-Retro, and EMG's. ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah)
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IME the headstock becomes a non-issue after you play it. The one on my fretless is non-standard, 5 in-line tuners, even longer than the normal one.

I personally never was a fan of the NJS but it is still an amazing bass. My dream Elrick would be a thru-neck 4-string with a spalted maple top and a pink ivory figerboard, or a burled maple top with an ebony fingerboard.
  11. rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'm bumping this to get some more feedback. I am pretty sure that I need to stick with one bass to maintain domestic tranquility, and after playing my Cirrus today, I gulp at the prospect of letting it go--unless the Elrick will quickly make me forget. If any of you have some comforting words, let me have them. Even if you simply want to tell a war story or something.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the Elrick being sold by an individual or a store? Is there any kind of trial period? If there is, perhaps you could get your wife to agree to your keeping the Cirrus long enough to make a decision, and then selling it?

One other issue. It is a buyers market right now. Boutique and semiboutique basses are very slow movers, so you will either have to be very patient with the Cirrus, or settle for less than what it is worth.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played only 2 Elricks in my life, but I can tell you that they are among the nicest basses I've ever played. I'm budgeting for one right now, in fact.:D
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    same here, tho i'm not from sweden. ;)

i've been gas'in for an Elrick jazz 5, but i've already got a USA Custom 5 string body/neck coming this week. oh well... :(
  16. I have no thoughts. I do have GAS.:D