1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Yes, I live and die by the list!

2. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    It only gets worse the older one gets. About a year ago, I had two tasks to complete. One was upstairs and one was downstairs. When done, I found myself mentally patting myself on the back and thinking, "Boy! I remembered two things in a row!" Sad but true.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'd be more likely to say "i always forget something" than to say i forget any one thing consistently. but sometimes i don't forget anything! in fact: i generally bring too much. on my PA gigs: i might forget to bring that one special connector/cable that i just made --- that i only need that one time. :laugh:

things that i can remember that i've forgotten at one time or another:
    - bass :wideyed:
    - strap
    - music stand
    - cable
    - instrument stand
    - stool
    - music/book

Blueinred likes this.
  4. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Talent! :bawl:

5. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Water... I prefer bottled water to the recycled sewer water from a bar, but wind up forgetting it.

I have a checklist for everything else, I need to add that.

nickpc and Plectrum72 like this.
  6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Mill Valley, CA
    Guitar stand

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  7. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Tuner. I need to buy a couple more and keep one in every case.

8. A guitar stand

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  9. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Talent

10. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Money... sometimes no ATM near the venue, and no way to tip the Bartender (I tip event when I get free drinks).

SteveFromBerlin and Jason Hollar like this.
  11. kaljultdgl

kaljultdgl

Oct 21, 2019
    skills

Thundertips likes this.
  12. I wish I could forget to bring Stagefright with me! Haha.

SiliconElle, AEDW and kaljultdgl like this.
  13. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Thirty years ago we were playing 6 nights a week, and we had a gig a hundred miles away, and I forgot my bass. I had to wake up the bass player in another band at 3:00p, who lent me his backup. A couple years ago I forgot my drum throne and had to use a chair. Nowadays, I sometimes have trouble finding a pick for the couple songs I like to use them on. Not a huge deal, since bandmates think using a pick for bass is cheating.

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    A bass. Seriously. If I forget anything, it's that. I once drove 2 hours to a gig and forgot my bass. Fortunately, there was a bass supplied to someone else as backline so we both used it.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I’m ashamed to say I’ve left the amp head at home by accident - more than once. They’re so darned light and small now, I actually took my iPad in its bag once instead of the amp! (Tablets can do all kinds of amazing things now, but they sure can’t drive my speaker cabs...)
    My car is a “work truck” for gigging with cabs, stands and cables all ready to go so I never get caught without that stuff. Probably wouldn’t be the worst idea to stow a backup micro-head in there, too.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Forgot my amp once. Luckily I was early for the gig and it was only a few minutes from my house. But what a sick feeling when I opened the trunk.:eek:

17. If your bandmates complain about you using a pick, just say... Paul McCartney... Haha.

18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Nothing. I got through a list before every gig. I load everything up and before I drive off, I look back and make sure everything is there. It's why I load in and out by myself.

Thundertips likes this.
  19. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    In more than 30 years (yikes!) of gigging the only thing I have ever forgot to pack was the printed set lists for everyone, this somehow has become my responsibility for the last 10 years or so, no big deal but it is tougher than you might think to remember all of your songs without a list! Needless to say it only happened once.

20. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    A reserve wire.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021