1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Guitar stand. Every. Single. Time.

Eon Sky likes this.
  2. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Set list!

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  3. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Same. Always forget the stand.

outoftune likes this.
  4. Blenin

Blenin Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Seattleish
    ...tums

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Nothing really. My whole kit goes in my gig bag. Plenty of cables, long XLR for DI, nifty Velcro ties for said cables, couple of screwdrivers, swisstool, and gorilla tape if I'm being a real good scout.

I had one gig where the Swiss tool and a couple of other things didn't make it home. It was a busy job with several other bands performing and someone helped themselves to my jacket pockets when I wasn't paying attention. Really disappointing as my wife had gotten it for me when we were dating in college.

She got me another one but I really liked having that old one with me all the time. Someone always needed it, too.

instrumentalist likes this.
  6. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Once on a drum gig, I forgot my sticks (at the rehearsal room :nailbiting:) and finished that set with bare hands on my E-drum
    My (would have been) first bass gig was cancelled due to a Norovirus outbreak. We had been supposed to enter the rehearsal and stage with ticket (PS: anyway, before the Noro happened), and none of us had had any ticket by then so... :rolleyes:

7. My head....
    Turns out, it wasn't screwed on! :laugh:

SiliconElle likes this.
  8. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    1/4 cable. Really common. If i dont wrap one up with the amps powers supply and speaker cable it wont make it to the gig.

9. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Nothing. I have a checklist on my phone for gig gear. I’ll modify it over the day or two before the gig so I make sure everything I need is on there.

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Guitar stand

SiliconElle and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Talent. :laugh:

12. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I usually forget to bring a crowd :(

13. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Forgot a strap once and had to rock out whilst sitting on a bar stool...not cool. Also forgot a spare cable and had to bypass my pedal board when one of them took a dive.

14. ??? In what way could that be cheating?

15. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Lately, my "A" game

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  16. A big pile of sheet music. I found out when I arrived. I was accompanying a large number of singers at the piano, and they were singing all kinds of things in all kinds of genres. No way I could fake my way through that gig. Luckily, I'd arrived early and it wasn't far from home, but I'd come by streetcar. So the venue owner drove me home and back with plenty time to spare.

17. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I am the guy who brings my bass stuff plus the lights and sound system. When we gigged a lot I had a corner of the room where all of the stuff required would be. I also had a specific way of loading my truck. So there were two visuals: Empty corner and full truck. With all of that I have forgotten speaker stands, powered monitor mixing board (Yamaha cube), bass stand, dolly, tip jar, and some other little things. This is thru many, many years of gigging. It doesn't happen that much. It's usually only once per item then I make changes so it doesn't happen again...for that item.

SiliconElle likes this.
  18. SOUTH PAW

SOUTH PAW

May 31, 2015
    Lakewood, CA
    Guitar stand. Once, only because of a last minute decision to take the wife's car instead of mine, and it didn't get transferred from my car in the rush to flee the scene.

I remember another time, after my band finished playing and the next band was getting set up, someone said that their bass player wanted to talk to me. Turned out he'd forgotten his guitar strap, and wanted to borrow mine. I told him sure, no problem, cause I already had planned to stay till after they finished playing, but it left me scratching my head as to how you could forget that. Then I realized, not everyone, like me, thinks it's necessary to have a separate strap, left in each case, with every bass they own. Could have been the first time in thirty years, he ever had to ask.

19. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    It never happens to me. I have a mild case of OCD so I have long adhered to pack the car, load in and load out routines in place that include double (if not triple) checking that I have everything I'll need.

20. Stand... it hasn't happened often but it seems that's the one thing I tend to leave behind before I split for the gig.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021