1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Nothing. I’m an OCD prep lunatic. Been gigging since the mid 80s and never once forgot anything.

2. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I had a really nice one that I kept in my jacket pocket for gigs and forgot about it ... And now TSA has it. At least they did.

InhumanResource likes this.
  3. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.

moon-bass likes this.
  4. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    This right here. I have everything - including spares of things that might break - in a laptop backpack, all nice and organized. I always forget to bring a clean towel tho because it's not already in the bag. Douglas Adams would be disappointed.

I always bring spare cables, etc. For myself. I don't like to loan things out to casual bandmates cuz a lot of times things don't make it back to you in the same shape, or they don't make it back to you at all. I don't carry things that I wouldn't need, like drum sticks, etc.

TheDirtyLowDown likes this.
  5. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Usually nothing, but if anything, a guitar stand. I have 4 of them.....

6. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm afraid to ask but what is the towel for?

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. Eon Sky

Eon Sky Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I feel this. And every time I tell myself "next time".

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have forgotten stands before. I have forgotten printed set lists, that was a mad scramble with a sharpie.
    Since the '80's never had any real issues forgetting gear. Once we forgot to take our drum mics down and they were not there the next night. Only had to learn that lesson once. Luckily we were able to borrow some scrappers from the club. Expensive lesson.

9. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Make a check list! Its easy & totally, worth the time. I used to work for a photographer, that did location photo shoots, He'd almost always forget something (a stand, cable,power strip)! I often had to had to make an emergency run to drop off something he forgot, Until he hired an assistant. She was very organized, Made a location list on a clipboard threw it in the "on location" bin, never had to make a run after that! I took that idea & threw it in my gig bag, along with extra cables & Batteries so I 'd never be at a gig setting up & realize I forgot my strap or cable. I even went so far as to go to harbor freight to stock up on some cheap tool(pliers, screw drivers, flashlight, etc.) I even got a nice tool/gig bag there too! Better safe than sorry!I once forgot my strap at a gig luckily I had one buried in the trunk, after a music store sale! I became known as the "Boyscout" "always prepared",of the band! but I never had to sit on the stage because I forgot something! a checklist only takes a few minutes to make,& you can reuse it! a list will save you a lot of time & worry at a gig! who hasnt left behind a cord or part before a gig! just do it.

10. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    For summer gigs in L.A. its wise to bring your own fan because the stage will be 173 degrees Fahrenheit. I forget that 50% of the time. Inhumanresource - this is why one would bring a towel.

moon-bass likes this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Gotcha. I am not a particularly sweaty guy even in heat but at 173F all kinds of juices are coming out.

Peteyboy likes this.
  12. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Don't lean your bass up against your amp. I got a nice half-moon ding in the back of my 1965 Jazz bass in 1968 when our female singer thought she'd be helpful and carry out some gear after our practice. For some reason she removed the base of one of our Atlas mic stands (had really heavy iron bases on them) and was walking out with the base in one hand and the barrel of the mic stand in the other.

I usually put my bass right into its case when we stopped practicing, but for some reason I leaned it against the amp with the fingerboard towards the amp. Sure enough, when she walked by it, the base slipped out of her hand and bounced off the back of my'65 Jazz Bass. I take really good care of my basses and always have and so the first scratch on it was that half-moon 1" long dent on the back of my bass about 4" to 6" up from the edge. That was the last time I ever leaned my bass against the amp.

Back in the 70's when I was touring with a nightclub group, I had a stand, though the stands back then were crap. They were thin strips of metal about 3/8" wide riveted together and they tended to bow with any sideways pressure - pretty flimsy with a heavy bass. I found out early on that if I just hung my bass from the amp, it was not only far more secure, but it looked good on stage too. Now days the tubular stands are far more reliable and I use a couple of those at home.

It's easy to do. Usually you have enough clear space in the back of your amp at the upper left corner of your amp (looking from the front of the amp) that you can put the strap over that corner and your bass will hang flat against your cab with the strap pulling at close to 90° to the strap buttons. If it doesn't look like you have enough strap over the corner, lift your bass up a little higher and push the strap farther down over that corner. Wish I had a pic to show you. I did that every time we played back in the early 70's, which was about 250 performances per year. Never had a problem with it, even when someone bumped against the amp. I used it with both my '66 Fender Bassman am, which had a heavy head, and my Standel MCIIb/SAM30b piggyback amp, which had a very light head (had powered speakers so head was just a preamp). It never budged.

I forgot my stand a couple of years ago before I bought a "stage stool", and I hung my Jazz bass off my Eden amp in its rack with the back of the bass against my DNS-410 cab. Still worked as well then as it did 40-years ago. Worked great and looked great. My stage stool has a built-in guitar stand that folds down, so I use that now. But you should try hanging it off your amp. It works really well and looks cool too. Then don't worry if you forget your stand.

13. moon-bass

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    Sweat mostly. It gets hot in New Orleans!

matty1039 likes this.
  14. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    My wife. :beaver:

15. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I forgot to bring my customer speaker cable AND my power cable twice. Power cable was no problem, most folks have extras. The speaker cable was a problem though. The amp has banana connectors (1999 Eden WT500/800) and my DNS-410 cab has speakons. Nobody has a spare with speakons on one end and banana plugs on the other! Had to turn around and drive home to get them and was about 40-minutes late to getting set up. And of course, they took up the rest of he stage and I had to set up my amp behind the stage on the pavement of the parking lot behind our canopy. Stage was about a foot high, so the shelf port of my cab was shooting under the stage floor. Normally run my master at 10 o'clock outdoors with my DNS-410 cab and figured since it was behind the stage I should bump it up to 10:30. Played the first song and was asked by the owner to turn down. Played the next song with it at 10 o'clock and was asked to turn down again. Finally played with it at 9:30 on the master and that worked fine...all with my amp off the back of the stage. Now, when I grab my gig bag, I always check to make sure that cord is in there.;)

Here's a pic of that set up where you can see my amp off the back of the stage The speakers are above the floor but the port is below it and there's our guitarist's white van behind it.:
    414438197.jpg

SiliconElle and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I seem to consistently forget a stand for my bass....

Ggaa likes this.
  17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I used to forget everything so got into the habit of not unpacking my gig bag at home. Now it's bag + whatever basses I'm using that night so not a lot to remember. If I had to pack the bag every time it'd be chaos.

18. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    I seldom forget anything meaningful, but...Once years ago we had a gig a full hour from our band house (yes this was a LONG time ago) and upon loading in I discovered to my horror I’d left my 66 P-bass behind the door of my bedroom!

Luckily I had a work friend who was a fellow bassist and he lived about 20 minutes away from my gig.

Upon hearing my plight my friend offered to not only lend me his Ric 4001 but delivered it to the club for me, saving my arse and most likely the entire gig.

Just recalled, I met my first wife, mother of my only child, at that gig.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    SiliconElle and LahLeylah95 like this.
  19. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    A huge crowd of paying public.

instrumentalist and gidbass like this.
  20. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    A stand for the bass

the one time I did bring one , they had one on stage

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021