1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have 2 kinds of gigs - most are ampless/in ears with a pedalboard as my rig. The other one I bring a small amp.

For each type of gig, I have a bag with everything I need, including spares. I’m always packed for eithe type of gig. The gear I practice with at home is separate - nothing needs to be remembered.

A few times, I’ve done both gigs the same day. After the first gig, I come home, unload everything, load a completely different set of gear, and head to the second gig.

moon-bass likes this.
  2. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Gig shoes. Although I did forget my bass one time on a gig 6 hours away...

3. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Hmmm.. Uh, oh yeah, Wait....... Uh.... I forget.:cigar::wacky:

SiliconElle likes this.
  4. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    I subbed for a gig back in February and forgot to bring instrument cables. Fortunately I live a 5 minute drive away from the venue. Occasionally I forget to bring a pick for the one or two songs that I requires one.

My usual checklist:
    - 2 Basses
    - Amp+Cab if there's nothing provided (I usually go direct to FOH so I don't bother to bring a spare)
    - Pedal Board & Power Supplies
    - Earplugs
    - Straps
    - Guitar Stand
    - Instrument Cables + a couple extra just in case
    - Extension Cord + Power Bar
    - Set list / cheat sheets / charts / music stand if needed
    - Picks
    - Extra strings
    - Various tools - Allen wrenches (metric & imperial flavours), wire cutter, needle-nose pliers, phillips screwdrivers
    - Gaffer Tape
    - Water / Red Bull / Protein Bar / and some gum for mingling after the show
    - Towel
    - Nail Clippers
    - Deodorant & Wet Wipes

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. Scott Shaw

Scott Shaw

Jun 6, 2019
    My old keyboard player forgot his stand once, so we used an ironing board. Me, I don't think I've ever left anything at the house, but I left plenty at the venue.

6. chuck1073

chuck1073

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Extra hookers.

7. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    It used to be things to tame the digestive tract.

After one too many gigs preceded by burritos and/or greasy food, Gas-X and immodium now have a permanent spot in my gig bag.

8. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    In my jam band days, I used to have to "forget" the tambourine for home town gigs, otherwise a certain groupie would grab it and shake it all night

Jason Hollar and SiliconElle like this.
  9. Rubbers. Back in the day I was always getting hit up for a loaner by the lead guitarist and singer. I usually waited by the bus while they conducted dance lessons in the dressing room. To this day I have flashbacks whenever I hear a diesel start up!

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Clearly it is talent for me!;)

Bones

11. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Talent.

12. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    A full Battery charge...I’m always checking against a list as well and always have my ‘things persay’ BUT, I’m sometimes bad with the phone.

13. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    Absolutely nothing.

14. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Nothing

I have a bag always ready that contains everything I need for a gig. Small set of set-up tools, soldering iron, extra sets of strings, small first aid kit with liquid skin, clear nail polish, clippers, band-aids. A extra strap, cords of all types, on-stage guitar stand. My two mics vocal and cabinet , DI box, cell phone, 38 Snubby if required, depending on the dive (don't laugh we all know those types of venues are out there). Plus whatever else I think i might need for a gig. Then my amp if needed, and two basses (always). Passive Black 'n' Maple 2008 Precision with flats and a Black 'n' Maple Squier/MIM parts bass with EMG's and rounds. Spare 9v for the Jazz. No pedals because I don't use any.

15. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I honestly can't remember.

SiliconElle likes this.
  16. moon-bass

moon-bass Up to the moon and back Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    I so the same thing, kind of. I have ampless gigs, small, medium, and large gigs. I have a modular type of system where I keep my required stuff in the bag, and then depending on the gig I'll bgtan the bag with the speaker cables, or the passive DI etc. My whole set up is pretty modular. You never know what you are gonna get here in New Orleans so you need to be prepared.

17. Nail clippers. Every time during the soundcheck I realise my nails are too long and I'm trying to bite them off with little success. I hate that.

18. SiliconElle

SiliconElle Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Florida, USA
    I haven't gigged regularly for years because of injury, but I have on occasion forgotten an instrument cable or a guitar stand. I remember not bringing a fan to an outdoor gig in a summer outdoor gig. That was fun.

Once, my bass battery failed before a big gig where I was playing both bass guitar and double bass. I had a spare, and I replaced the dead battery. However when it came time to play, my bass didn't work despite the new battery. That bass doesn't have a passive mode. So someone went to get another battery and installed it while the crowd waited. By the time my bass was usable again, we had used up all our extra time, and I wasn't even able to switch to double bass on the tunes I wanted to play it on, because there was no time. This really tilted me, and I felt off for the whole night. Moral of the story: test your backup batteries from time to time.

19. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    definitely the intro

Oddly likes this.
  20. TuneIn

TuneIn

Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021