1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

The only time was once quite a awhile ago when I forgot to charge the batteries to my wireless system and the spares had died sitting in the bag too long, but I always keep a cable with me, so no big deal.

sears likes this.
  2. What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

My good humor and gentle spirit.

Now...
    200.gif

:roflmao:

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Luckily, so far nothing. Other than my basses and amps, most of my gig gear is dedicated gear gear that stays packed up to help reduce the odds of forgetting something. About the only things that ever come out are my wireless transmitters and I always try to charge them up a few days before and then pack them back up so they're where I expect them to be when I get to the gig.

It's only a matter of time before I do something stupid like forget a bass or an amp, but so far so good. And even if I forget an amp, I always keep a spare head in one of my bags and I'm sure I could get through most any gig I'd ever play with it.

So, yeah, I guess I pretty much guaranteed that I'll forget to bring a bass to our first post COVID gig. :facepalm:

4. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Anything I fail to bring to a gig is a luxury. Before I back out of my driveway, or even start the car, I always tick off three things: Bass, Amp, Cab. As long as I have at least one of each, the show will go on (or at least it won't not go on because of me).

Nothing else I could forget could scuttle the show. Mics, stands, lights, a change of clothes, Red Bull, a small flask...

Also note: Neither a bass, an amp, nor a cab is a complete system without its cord.

instrumentalist likes this.
  5. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I've been at this over 50-years and the #1 thing I take to a gig is 'calm'. ... Without it I'm no good to anyone. ... We've all been at gigs which went south because someone freaked out. ... I also work in the location department of the film industry where sideways is normal. ... Prepare to be calm when things go wrong and you're prepared.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  6. Chubby Fingers

Chubby Fingers

Jun 23, 2020
    Talent :-(

7. Shorelinegold

Shorelinegold Supporting Member

I used to use a checklist, but then...I forgot it.

8. I don’t remember forgetting anything going to a gig or leaving anything behind afterwards. But in 1997 some dodo left an Altec A7 on the side of the southbound I-405 freeway under the I-10 bridge. We left it there in hopes that they would come back for it.

9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Bruh that's like the saddest bass player stereotype, I'm so sorry

Oddly likes this.
  10. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

Oddly, moon-bass and InhumanResource like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Oh no, not again

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I forget bringing things back home. Starps and cables mostly.

13. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    9eb28410e46591373d23f192c94f9bb1--calm-down-the-calm.jpg

dave64o and 12BitSlab like this.
  14. ^ Actually, yes I've noticed that.

15. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    At long last, I rarely forget anything. My method is "the magic box." If I have a tool, cable, personal item (cough drops) it goes into The Magic Box and stays there. Finger Eze, baby powder, bug repellant, batteries, a spare Speakon and spare AC cable, picks... You get the idea.

Eventually Magic Box gets pretty heavy and is reviewed. But whatever come up before the downbeat, I have one.

16. Guitar stand. There was no such thing back when I was playing out every night. We just leaned our guitars against whatever gear was on the stage. So I always forget my stand.

17. Spare 9v batts.

For my lead guitar player.... Don't ask.

18. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Flashback Diesel Friday: The History And Where It All Began:

Flashback Diesel Friday: The History And Where It All Began - Diesel Army

The first video mentioned in the article had a broken link. Here's the documentary:

19. My problem was always leaving stuff at gigs. I stopped bringing guitar stands to gigs because I knew they'd just end up belonging to the club.

20. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Wow, seems like a stand is the common answer.

I got sick of dealing with bulky plastic garbage that never fits in neatly anywhere (and that I would also often forget) so I went a few years just leaning my bass against my amp.

Then I found these guys:

Stage Guitar Hangers

Clips to the side of my amp and fits in the compartment of my hardshell case. Genius.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021