1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
  2. I've forgotten to print out and bring a set list a couple of times recently.... guitarist had a spare but he does his in very small print / font and I can't read it without glasses
    when I do my own set list I make sure the font is big enough so I can read it without glasses - even if it is on 2 pages!

one time over 20 years ago Singer collected the gear from his work - where we rehearsed and stored the gear... and he arrived at the gig (45 mins away) without my small suitcase that had all my leads, tuner, microphone, spare strings...etc... in...... and he refused to go back and get it.
    I managed to borrow a lead from guitarist so I could plug into my amp, but I couldn't do any BV's (kind of important in a covers band).....

3. Excuse me, what are BV's?

4. Backing Vocals.... sorry I thought that was a common term

5. Backing Vocals is of course a common term, I just didn't think of it.
    And yes, they're important. I'd be unhappy, gigging in a coverband, if I couldn't supply any BV's.

6. gregj8787

gregj8787

May 19, 2011
    Forgot my stage clothes. Was wearing shorts and running shoes. Found a local clothing store near the venue and bought some decent duds. Stress!

7. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Backing vocals:

roadrage.jpg

Jimmy4string likes this.
  8. Sounds great.

9. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Not exactly backing vocals, since he apparently did it while driving forward. I saw Leo Kottke at the El Rey Theater in Chico, CA. He said that one day he was driving and another driver pulled into his lane in front of him. He said his two year old daughter stood up in the back seat and shouted, "get out of the way, you a$$h$$$. He decided that he needed to modify some of his driving habits. I Yell At Traffic:

10. I have definitely forgot a guitar stand more often than I remember to bring it until I got a mini stand that fits in my gig bag. Recently, I've been finding myself wishing I had an extension cord more often than anything.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  11. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    30355_382549225163316_202531000_n.jpg

upload_2020-11-20_19-18-47.png

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F05%2Fe4%2Fd2%2F05e4d27c443adef1a1060e447ec04072.gif

upload_2020-11-20_19-28-53.png

upload_2020-11-20_19-41-1.png

Jimmy4string, DJ Bebop and droo46 like this.
  12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My ego.

I try to play bass and sing in the most ego-centric way possible, but I sometimes forget and leave my ego at home. I hate it when that happens.

:D

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

My skills.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I don’t always play with a pick, but when I do, I sometimes have to borrow one from the guitarist lol.

KJMO likes this.
  15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I am just the opposite
    I bring more than a bass player should
    Lol
    I carry extra everything including a set of drum mics and cables
    It’s pretty hard for me to forget things as the PA, Monitors, & lights are mine
    And before our next gig the whole system it setup , checked out, cables cleaned and wound up correctly
    Cables are tested with a cable tester and anything that looks the least bit suspicious is replaced
    Oh
    And the same goes for my bass rig
    And yes I know I am very anal about my gear
    Duke

WI Short Scaler and hbarcat like this.
  16. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    My talent...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I’ve forgotten one of everything at some point in my 40+ years of gigging. Amp, guitar stand, mic, cords, mic stand, speaker stand, picks.....you name it. I almost forgot my ax once, but my wife saw it and ran out to the car as I was leaving....

18. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Nothing. I had a gig bag 30 years ago and it’s the same and stays packed. God only knows, I even carry extra guitar strings, drum sticks and 9 volt batteries for those “ musicians” who can’t take care of themselves. I HAVE forgotten a bass stand a few times, so bought another one and it stays in the car “ just in case”.
    of course, Guitarists borrow it frequently...

theduke1 likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I usually leave a few good notes at home; but I always seem to have some mediocre notes I can throw in in their place.

hbarcat likes this.
  20. I'll stick to being labelled as OCD, but I understand the sentiment. :D

I also own/haul the PA and lights so I'm very "demanding" about how and where things get packed so they are in place and won't get forgotten or lost. All the gear gets stored in the same way at home every time so I can tell if anything is missing with a glance. And at gig time I can look in one spot and see that I've got it all.

My confidence is probably the most often forgotten item. :thumbsup:

theduke1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021