What do you bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    When you go to a gig, what do you have with you? Sure you have your amp, basses, cables, probably a tuner, and any effects. But what else? I think this will be interesting! You can be honest and include any chemical substances as well.

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Everything you mentioned, doubled, (Yeah, I bring spares of everything except for speaker cabinets...) Also, a set of drumsticks, guitar strings, and a four-pack of 9v batteries... The sticks, strings and batteries haven't been needed in my current band, (these guys are on top of their game), but I've saved the day with gear for other band members on more than one occasion... If I play a gig and somebody forgets a "What were you thinking?" item that they should have packed, it becomes part of my load...

Also Static Guard, pain relievers, ear-plugs, breath-mints, and a fan...

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

1. Bass
    2. Tuner
    3. Cable
    4. Music
    5. Stands

I've been running through our drummer's JBL G2. Not bad. Not bad at all.

This makes for a very light load in and load out.

5. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Duct tape. Spare cables. Sewing kit. First Aid kit. Rags. Strings. Stand lights. Sharpie markers. Clothes pins. Paper clips. Rubber bands. Asprins.

Anything I've needed once I'll always carry. You never know, do you?
  6. 1) Main bass
    2) Spare/Different bass
    3) Amp
    4) jacks (7-8)
    5) XLRs (2-3)
    6) Gaffer tape
    7) Old Strings
    8) Zoom 510 distortion box (with in-built, perfectly calibrated tuner)
    9) Adapter for pedal

Other stuff I bring every now and then when I can be bothered...

10) Screwdrivers
    11) Soldering iron
    12) D.I. box or PodXT (my amps being temprimental at the minute, so I'd better remember to pack them for thursdays gig...)
    13)...er...allen keys (well...I USED to bring them, but I've lost THE one I'm most likely to need! I gotta get me a new set)
    14) Spare kettle lead

...thats about it innit? - May start taking some Superglue, and we're using 3 of my mics for the drumkit at the minute...and my earplugs of course... - I could go on forever remembering stuff like this so I'll stop now
  7. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    1) SM58 vocal mic
    2) Couple of condenser mics
    3) lots of mic cables
    4) 2 mic stands (one w/boom)
    5) DI box (especially since the time my amp fried right before a gig...)
    6) Swiss Army knife
    7) Batteries (9v and AA)
    8) Allen wrenches (one set SAE; one set metric)
    9) Chloraseptic (for sore, raspy throats)
    10) Couple of towels
    11) Lots of extra picks
    12) Cigars/cigar cutter
    13) A funny hat

8. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I only got to this post. You are a trooper, dude. I never would have thought to bring drumsticks. Did you play drums at one time?

9. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ha ha! Yea, you don't want to forget the Cigar stuff. Gigging really is about "what ever could go wrong, will", and you have to step up sometimes and cover for your bandmates who are irresponsible and don't bring the stuff *they* should be bringing. Hopefully I saw fuses mentioned. I even bring extra 12AX7 tubes, and even EL34's (of course it's my Marshall the guy is using). Nobody actually brings an extra bass cab do they?

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Along with the normal stuff, I always bring an extension cord and a power bar. It seems there is *never* a plugin where you need it.
  11. keneds

Feb 18, 2006
    London Grove, PA.
    How about a little mag lite.:rollno:
  12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Depends on the gig. I go to some gigs with a bass, cable, and a DI. Or like last night I had to bring the entire PA and my bass/gear. I could fill a page with what I had to load for that.

But the ditty-bag includes spare cables, mic cables, passive DI, wall wart, tuner, batteries, gum, some kind of emergency snack food (Clif Bar) and most importantly: guitar player stuff since that is usually the problem (I forgot my pick, slide, capo, forebrain....)
  13. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    No, but I once played a 'drummer-less' half of a set while waiting for the drummer to run back to the practice space and get his stick bag... Luckily it was fairly local. After that, I took a set along with me... You'd think that once would be enough, but TWICE he had to use my back-ups... Good drummer though! He kind of fell off the face of the earth for a few years, but I recently played a fill-in gig with him and it was a blast...

In my current band, we all bring along spares of some sort... These guys have been playing long enough to realize that things will break-down at the most inopportune times... The harmonica player uses vintage amps, (he has 2 original '59 Bassman's) so he and the guitar player are set as long as one of them brings a spare...

14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    One handy-dandy thing to bring to a gig is a set of velcro tape rolls. They come in a pair, one roll of each of the two sides of velcro. Man, the uses for that stuff is endless!

I currently use velcro to hold my DI and compressor to the top of my carpet-covered amp.
  15. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Don't forget a spare strap and extra copy of the music.
  16. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh yea - the spare strap - crucial. I'm writing all this stuff down - good ideas. I like the velcro, the maglite. But the sewing kit?

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A fully loaded Beretta 92F and two spare mags for a total of 45 rounds coz you never know when someone will Dimebag yer @$$.
  18. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    About everything I own besides multiple amps. I keep all my effects, cables, well, everything in a big plastic tote, cause I never want to forget to take anything. It has evrything from the little fold up guitar stand, to superglue, earplugs, flashlight, power strip, extension cord, picks, tools, strings, a hi-z to low-z adapter, a couple mics, cables, a couple straps, rags, tape, pens, paper, demos cd's...and so forth.

Drumsticks though, good call.
  19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's one thing I don't have to bring (see my sig). But the one singer I gig with must have 100 pounds of binders. I actually don't know how many he has since he seems to keep bringing out more :eek:
  20. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    music, stands, earplugs, screwdriver, allen wrenche(s), strap, pick (i don't even use it, it's just there).