1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Do You Call Someone...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bongolation, May 11, 2010.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    ...who listens to music and transcribes the parts note-for-note for charts or tabs?

What is the technically-correct term for this job and what do you call the process?

Thanks for any clarification!

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    You'll get more views and better responses if you ask your full question in the title of the thread. If anyone else has the same question as you and searches the forum they're not going to use "What Do You Call Someone..." as their search phrase.

3. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I think you answered your own question. I believe it's called transcribing.

4. spywebco

spywebco Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    North Ft. Myers, FL
    A transcription service is the company to speak with. A transcriptionist is the person that actually does the work.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    OK, so those brilliant guys who hear a recording a couple of times and get the bass lines down precisely into tabs/charts are transcriptionists?

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Did you just hear someone say that and immediately write it down? ;)

7. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    no tabs

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    But it's the guy who goes from ear to charts, then?

9. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Yes, my answer was a bit of a wisecrack, but keep in mind you'd transcribe any instrument/voice so tabs wouldn't come into the picture most of the time, and IMO never for guitar or bass anyway.

10. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    I do that all the time, but I do not consider myself brilliant. What you need is ear training, especially to hear intervals. Just start transcribing and you'll get good at it soon enough.