What do you call this technique? (With video link)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by topo morto, Oct 9, 2011.

  1. topo morto

    topo morto

    Mar 22, 2010
    Darkglass Demo

    Slap the strings, a couple of muted notes, then into the proper notes...

    I can play it, but what do you call it? It's not 'slap bass', cos that means something else :)

    Pretty sure sure I've heard it on loads of tracks, but can't think of any right now.
  2. BKBassDude


    Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    He's raking (the finger sliding from one string to the lower in one smooth motion). The muted notes are a mix of some ghost notes (muted notes with no real pitch) and harmonics.

    All these techniques are the bread and butter of what people like to call "finger style funk", i.e. no slapping but still funky and very rhythmic.
  3. topo morto

    topo morto

    Mar 22, 2010
    Yep, raking seems to be the term to look into - like this

    Searching for fingerstyle funk brought me here , which is quite disturbing (the voice I mean)

  4. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Jul 23, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.