1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you consider a sellout?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Mar 28, 2009.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What do you consider a sellout?

MUSE has sold a song to Watchmen, and Twilight all within the last year, but I dont refer to them as sellouts. They are expanding. Not enough people know of them.

Now Bear Grylls, my favorite TV show host of Man. Vs. Wild sold out to a breakfast cereal commercial. This dissapointed me.

Your opinion?

2. I think it depends on the person/band etc.

I do consider Iggy Pop doing adverts a sellout though.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    for me, sellouts are mostly bands that don't change so they won't lose fans... and money xD

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I changed that for you, I think you typo'd.

5. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    When a band changes its style for financial reasons.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    A show where ticket sales have reached capacity.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Cough, cough, Linkin Park, cough. :scowl:

8. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Haven't Linkin Park always been commercially successful? Or did they do stuff before Hybrid Theory?

9. On the subject, Hooker With a Penis is a great song.

Mike

10. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Yeah I love that too... wait... song?

;)

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Mike, making your personal situation into a song to try and vent is not needed. :scowl:

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Not a Tool fan?

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes. Twas just a joke. ;)

14. It's how I cope, alright? Get off my back unless you plan on paying the rate we agreed upon when I got in the car....oh, wait.

Mike

15. I consider mike_v_s a sell out. After all he did sell out of his blimp, if you know what I mean.

lowsound

16. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Damn, you mean I can't use my sig anymore?!?

17. When money becomes the main influence for the work you do.

18. Sweet, I am a sell out.

lowsound

19. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Of course, some might say that as soon as you're making money for playing music, you're a sell-out. Personally, if I could make money playing music, I'd take whatever money I was given. It just seems, to me, that those calling artists "sell-outs" are saying it because they feel music should be done purely for music's sake. Unfortunately, food and rent costs more than a song. Or an album. ;)

20. Well, forget the blimp thing, this makes it official for me, too. I love my job. Seriously. I throw in "free" time here and there when necessary and don't really look to recoup the "loss". BUT, I'm not showing up if the cash isn't there. If left to my own devices, I'd hang out with my family all the time ("all the time" being politely understood as "the time between the bar closing and the bar opening the following day").

I get paid because there is a skill involved and it isn't THAT much fun. If it were, they'd call it Disney World and I'd pay them to go.

Mike