Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you consider to be a novice bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 24, 2003.

1. After a year they are not a n00b.

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Somewhere inbetween 2-5 years they become not a b00b.

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. After 5 years.

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. It isnt a matter of time, more a matter of skill level.

55 vote(s)
    80.9%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How long does someone have to play before you stop calling them a n00b.

2. u cant realy say.

it all depeneds on how u define good and novice , and some people can play for 2 years and still only just bout play simple bass lines. so you can't realy judge

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i got most every primus song, and half assed learning most of the awakening in my first year. but i practiced all day every day though. people were amazed, i was like, uhhhhhhh.
    still don't think i'm good.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    what is this song called The Awakening, i have heard that song listed several times and it is not on any of my primus cds. on what album can i find/hear it

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    in reference to the thread. i consider myself still a beginner, just over one year.

yet i have met people who have played for years who feel number of notes/difficulty is more important than a good bassline.

i think people who are worried about the jaw-drop factor of a solo or bassline are still beginners in that sense.

6. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I agree, everything you do as a bass player is in favour of the groove, and what the groove is asking from your instrument.

It is my goal as a bassplayer to be able to sense any kind of groove, and become a part of it.
    Wether I do that with a €3000 bass or with a Squier Affinity Bass doesn't make me a better player.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    not that difficult lines aren' cool, just that the last time i went to a music store and there was a kid doing his wooten impression on a damn ibanez, and he thought that showing off was a gauge of his talent.

i would have been impressed if he could of played a song that was recorded before he was born, because it would show his musical tastes are broad, but not some slap solo with fifty million dead notes.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's not a Primus song, it's Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel. Well, a cover. It's written by someone else, IIRC. Download it or buy the album! :D

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    that would be why it's not on my primus cd's.

oh well, what is the song like. i am strapped for cash after christmas shopping

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    its a great song, i dont like primus but i like it.
    With regard to this thread, i think its skill more than playing time which makes a bassist a novice or not, having said that, if some kid goes out and buys a bass and spends a week learning the 100 best bass tracks i would still consider him a novice as, ok , he can play good songs, but he probobly cant play anything else, and he probly cant play with feeling.
    When i say skill, i mean that the player can convey what he/she is feeling at that moment in time. If they do this using musical knowledge i would say that is skil, if they are lucky, well, then they may be talented.

11. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    haha you have no idea how many times i walk into a store and someone's trying to do that. But on this subject ill have to agree with the majority anyone guitarist and bassists alike can sit here and play songs but if you can convey a bit of emotion into that song then your truly moved on from noobiehood :D

12. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    But there's nothing saying me banging my open E in a mindless rage dosn't constitute anger :p

13. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    well yeh fair enough, but are you only ever angry? is that the ony emotion youll ever need to convey? I dont think so.
    Its being able to convey all emotions in a musical way that is skillful to me.

14. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I have been playing for 4 years and a half and I just stopped considering myself a novice... I started taking lessons a year and a half ago, I learned how to play without a pick (!), I truly learned how to set an amplifier, I started writing riffs for my band and now that we have just completed our first song partly written by me I can consider myself a medium-low player!!! wow! Then I learned how to play killing in the name by Ratm jumpin' on stage... and this is another good point! I still have problems writing very original basslines but the problem here is that many times I write the guitar riffs... so I never had to create a bassline for an already written guitar melody... but I will learn it
    peace!

15. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    anyway I still think anyone in this forum could play better than me! sigh!

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    also good players realize something can be learned from every experience.

in the case of wooten wannabe i learned that dont ever want to play like that. lol

i like victor wooten's grooves but it's when he starts to solo that i get bored

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  18. appler

appler Guest

I don't think you can measure whether or not someone's a n00b by time. It's about being able to lay down a solid groove. Chops are fun, but the song is more important. Being a good player has more to do with musical taste and feel for the song. If someone's a really good musician, you should be able to recognize that regardless of what instrument they're playing.

19. is it possible to sigh with an explimation point?

20. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I don't know bout others but i particularly like playing tricky stuff at stores even if i can't play em real well to get a feel of it on a dif instrument.