what do you dislike the most about non-bassists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metalbasskid, May 19, 2002.

1. what do you dislike about non bass players?
    i hate it when somebody asks me what kind of GUITAR i have or they say they play GUITAR!!!!
    it obviously shows they cantplay or they would know it is a BASS and i always say IT AINT A GUITAR IT IS A BASS THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE LIKE 6 AND 4 STRINGS OR FINGERS AND PICKS!!!!!

it really makes me mad when somone calls my bass a guitar.....

what about all you others?
  2. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    i dislike when people who have no knowledge about instruments in general sort of stereotype the bass as being easy when they see it with only four strings. people who judge by appearance suck in general.and i dont have much use for them at all.
  3. I dislike how people don't respect how much goes into learning to play an instrument, I remember when I first started playing bass, "Man you suck, you can't even play primus and you've been playing for a week!" That really pissed me off, but it's the reason I'm as good as I am today. I say just shrug it off, not everyone has to respect what you do or know everything about what you enjoy. I don't know anything about flying, that means I stay out of the cockpit (heh heh.) Sorry for the profound home spun wisedom, I just wanted to use that word --cockpit--, lol.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The thing i dislike most about non-bassists is that they don't tend to realize what it takes to play one. As far as the asking you what type of guitar you have, we'll get that all the time-don't worry bout it. We play Bass Guitar-it's most similar cousin visually is a guitar, so it's like you call my bass a guitar i call your violin a viola. However, it can get comical when people as you questions that seem really stupid to us. I remember playing a recruitment concert @ a catholic elementary school & hearing "Hey, they've got a big violin" when jazz band went there [i was playin upright]. Idiots/stupid people are all over-don't worry bout em. Have Fun
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They don't mean nothin' to me.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  7. I don't dislike non-bassists. You have to have some other people on stage with you, so you can make them look better by playing bass behind them.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, nobody seems to ask me or give me their opinions of such matters. Good thing too.
  9. I hear ya man!! I talked to this stupid guy who said "bass is like easy, right? cuz I mean, on guitar you are playing chords and stuff but for bass you just play like bass notes, right?" What a loser!!
  10. Uuuh...
    Is it just in my nature not to dislike or disrespect someone because they're ignorant about bass?

Seriously...if someone calls it a guitar, I just give them a friendly reminder that it's not just a "regular" guitar, but it's a "bass" guitar.

When someone tells me it's easy to play bass, or asks if it's easier than guitar, I tell them, "in the beginning, yes. But once you get past the absoute basics (like pumping out root notes) it gets pretty complicated pretty fast."

When someone tells me I suck, I just give them the eyebrow. Unless said someone is Billy Sheehan or Vic Wooten or Stanley Clarke or...well...anyone else for that matter who I do suck in comparison to, then I'll just say, "Yeah, I know. But I'm working on it."

When the guitarist in the band gets bored of practicing and just starts randomly soloing, I do my best to pick out what key he's in and then try & lay a groove under it.

If someone picks up one of my basses and starts playing without asking, I kindly remind them that "You're holding about $10,000 worth of wood, metal, plastic and paint in your hands. Please be careful, or if you're afraid of how much it would cost to repair should you dent it or anything, then you can put it down."
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    people usually treat me well...

thats what i get when i choose really well who to hang out and talk...
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    $10,000 bass? I didn't see an Alembic or a Warrior in your profile. Is it the Ibanez?
  13. What i dislike about non bassplayers specificly, is that most of them think that bass is there only for support. yeah ofcourse we do some sort of support.. we are the glue that connects the guitar's melody with the drummer's rythem.. so in that area we are indeed supportive.. but in many other aspects, we are the basis for the music. in some songs, if there were no bass, there would be no music.. but most non-bassplayers only see the supporting role..

ofcourse my opinion of the human race is globally known, and i couldn't give a rats butt if someone said to me that bassplayers are failures of guitarplayers.. if they like to think that.. fine.. their opinion is irrelevant to me anyway.
  14. Lookit me location there, Munji. I'm talking in Hong Kong dollars, not US dollars. :p

That comes out to about US$1,282.00
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I dislike when people start threads that have been done a million times before.

I like the fact that it is loosely music-related, and therefore I no longer have to deal with it.

Off to MISC. with ya.
  16. There are 6+ string basses and they can surely be played with picks.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DOH! You beat me to it!

Seriously, you can play a guitar with your fingers, or you can play a 9 string bass with a pick.

Some people are just stupid. Get over it.
  18. iplay my electric guitar with my fingers too..even when it's distorted..

how do i riff then ? well i use the same technique as i riff on my bass.. the allodoxian push-mute technique :)

you pluck a string, and just after release your plucking finger of the string, you release the strings on the fret-hand. but keep your fingers on the string, muting it.

works perfect :)
  19. The thing I dislike most about non-bassists is that they never have any cool basses or amps for you to borrow.
  20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have never been one to walk about with a chip on my shoulder.

I don't care if you call it a guitar. I call it a guitar sometimes. Why? Because it is a guitar. A "bass" is a fish, a singer, a six-foot violin OR a shortened name of the bass guitar.

I don't mind that all the kiddies love the guitar player or the drummer. And that the ladies love the singer. In fact, that just relieves the pressure as far as I am concerned.

But there is one thing that over my many, many years that I have never quite been able to shake.

Among non-musicians, there is, sometimes, a presumption that guitar is a fundamentally more difficult instrument to play. And that, simply isn't true. I wouldn't call it less difficult either. The skill set and approach is a little different, but they are more similar than not and you can take either instrument as far you are willing and able.

I find solice in knowing that most really good guitar players that have their heads on right agree with me completely.