What do you do in your band besides being the bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Jan 16, 2002.

1. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Does anyone do anything in their band in addition to playing bass?

I do backup vocals and some keyboard in a three peice band.
  2. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I drink refreshing beverages.
  3. I am the brains of the operation... The singer does the footwork...., but he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed and needs my advice at times..

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Along with playing bass, I designed our logos and produced the freebie promo items (magnets and stickers), designed and printed the flyers and business cards, designed and printed the CD labels and insert cards, designed and built a drum riser and light rig, researched and provided tablature (!) to my guitarist so he could learn the songs and tighten up some of the older ones, helped said guitarist learn rhythms and solos when he couldn't figure them out for himself, arranged and printed set lists for all members and provided lyrics for our singer when we'd add new songs. I also designed, maintained and paid for our "website," paid for and picked up any rental gear that was needed and transported the gear on gig day. :eek:

Whew! Looks like the only thing I didn't do was book the shows. :D
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I used to be in charge of the ammunition, but that was a while ago......

Now I'm the building manager.

That should confuse a few people :D
  6. I play kazoo occasionally.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    write lyrics, backround grunts, and general mayhem.
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I write half the songs, lyrics, I have to make up some drumbeats some time. Im the soundman, and studio guy.
  9. hm...let's see..I umm...play bass, yeah...and besides that I help around with the lyrics and I kick things/people.

Oh yeah, I also play a 200 year old bandolin (I'm serious). Sometimes I play the berimbau (how can I explain...it's a "stick" with a string attached to one end and on the other end there's a hollow coconut or any round hollow thing that looks like a coconut, and the string ends in there, and you play it by 'smacking' a small stick against the single string .....you listen to alot of those in most Soulfly songs...and you can also see alot of those in the hands of Max Cavalera when he's not playing the guitar)
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I sing backup vocals,and write songs.
  11. Backup vocals. Onstage mayhem.:D
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Backup vocals, writing, arranging, composing basslines for new material, help with PA equipment since no one else knows much about it(not that I do) and in the future, some lead vocals, rhythm guitar and keyboards.

I am also building our mp3.com site. Check it out. I have 3 new mp3's awaiting approval, and will soon have 6 or 7 more uploaded for approval. So I will soon be engaging in some shameless self promotion here on Talkbass and getting you guys to listen to them.:p
  13. Lead vocals, harmony vocals, comedian, sometime emcee, actor, idea man, skit writer, unoffical band leader(they all follow me),babysitter, sometime soundman assiatant, showmanship and mayhem, word feeder to forgetful singers, I won the "Ace" award at the annual awards show a few weeks ago for the person who does the most behind the scenes. Good thing i'm not controlling huh? :eek: Trent
  14. Well this threads gonna fast become a "my ****s bigger than yours" thread.

anywhoo! i set up the PA with singer, am the resident service technician, write song lyrics, do back up vocals, book the gigs,..... and they always make me go to the shop to buy the food, design logos (even tho the guitarist is a artist.. :rolleyes: )

I'm the bands bitch i reckon!

Edited for content :mad:
  15. I play the classical guitar, backup keyboard (hmmm, that sounds pretty redundant), turntables, sometimes backup percussion, vocals and I'm also the tech for my guitarist and keyboard player. Aren’t I just the busy little beaver?

:rolleyes: :D
  16. I play bass... and sometimes I do backup vocals which include me yelling (but not limited too) sounds such as "WOAAAAAAAAH" and "YEA YEA YEA" the repitition of the last word the lead singer says, and other such stuff.

I also along with the drummer am the official crew buyer. In other words, before a gig, we go out to a food joint, and grab a BUNCH of food. Like 50 bucks worth of it. LoL.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    you talking ammunition as in ammo, rounds, 5.62mm, 7.65 cal. etc?

When Im in bands I also sing backing vocals

sometimes i sing a lead or two, but thats usually against my will
  18. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i help with the website.
    help with revamping songs..and production of songs.
  19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I designed and maintain our bands website, I take all the photographs (except for live gigs). Help with writing the lyrics, me and the drummer are in charge of our pa system, do a little bit of backup vocals, I´m also responsible for buying computer equipment for Digi001, drink coke etc.
  20. I do Backup vocals, and I own the PA and lights, so I get to do the setup and breakdown. Oh, happy, happy, joy, joy.