Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do to get hyped up before hitting the stage?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Nov 7, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Do you guys do anything prior to hitting the stage so that you can go crazy and put on a kick a$$ show? There's a few things that I have come accross: like drinking Red Bull, having a few drinks, listening to some high energy music, watching a great live concert, snorting coke, taking caffeine pills etc.....

What do you do?

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

you do that before a gig ?? :D

i usually just make sure all my gear is ready and in tune ...

3. callofthebow

callofthebow

Oct 19, 2003
    Orlando, FL
    i do a 2 hour warmup a few hours before the show, and then nap until i'm called up to load gear

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    If a person can't get hyped before a show just by virtue of the fact that there's a show to do, I think they may be in the wrong business.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    LMAO no I don't do that, but I know people who have.

6. Obviously we're all ready to rock, Rayman, well, most of us anyway. I think you have a point. But say, for instance, you're ina football dressing room... The teams don't usually walk out onto the park in silence, do they? not in my experience!

Me?
    Apart from the appropriate stretches and getting intune, I'll usually have a Red Bull, shout randomly with the band. Sometimes we are cheesy enough to put a fist in the centre of our trio and go... "TEAM RIPPED!!" :D :D

7. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Tune.......

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm boring I guess, I don't do anything special right before hitting the stage. We have a guy that tunes the guitars, makes sure we all have water, beer, etc on stage, and checks my amp and mic/monitor.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    One of my best and favorite performances was at the end of a day where I took a dose of magic mushrooms. It was one of those meditative kind of trips where you reconnect with the universe. I wasnt hyped up at all- in fact the opposite, super chill- but was in touch with something that I could feel projecting through my playing and being reflected in the audience.

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Always tune, stretch fingers and hands and warm up. But for really kickin' gigs I shave my boys. It gives me a little more schwing to my mojo baby!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While I should totally agree with this post, real life tells me otherwise. You can totally love playing and still have a hard time getting hyped, especially when you've done it for years.

Me, I can turn it on and turn it off. I can be in the dressing room vegging out on the couch ready to pass out, and five minutes later be onstage and hyped up. That's what you call "semi-professionalism."

12. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    :eyebrow:

Doesn't it itch during the set?

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Only after the first couple of days (stubble) :p

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Never played a rock gig...

But before marching band comps, jazz band shows, concert band shows, and the occasional sit-in for my buddy in his jazz group... I listen to a lot of sum41

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+100. It can be tough for me to get hyped for tunes like Margaritaville, Sweet Home Alabama, Brown Eyed Girl...

I should mention another problem: getting un-hyped. Typically happens to newbies, but sometimes I'll get nervous in front of a huge crowd or if a good bassist is in the room.

16. This used to happen to me. I'd get so pumped up that I would make myself nervous. An the "good" bass player in the crowd thing used to get me real bad. I just try to play like they are gonna learn something from me. :) And if they are a "real" bass player, ego isn't an issue. We're all at different levels.

17. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I go in stages...I get anxious after loading in and screwing around with the PA and Lights and my stuff too.

I usually grab a large Water, Pound it down, do some stretching exercises (legs, arms, hands, back) and just breathe. Then I get myself hyped up by doing the High 5, Shake Hands, "Love You Man" program with my bandmates.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Large water, huh? If I did that, I'd be in the can by the end of the 5th song.

19. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Not at all. In fact it feels smooth as silk for a couple of days.

20. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Jesus wept.....:rolleyes: