Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do to get out of a funk?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Mar 18, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    ...and I don't mean the good kind...

I've been an undergrad since the summer of '99. Each semester, I follow the same pattern. Start off strong, then gradually become dis-interested in going to class, doing homework, etc. I can't seem to drop those old habits long enough. I got by ok through the intro levels and gen-eds just fine, but BSing doesn't cut it in 400 level classes. I'm studying geography, and I find the subject very stimulating; my problems aren't with the material, it's going to class and doing homework that I just can't seem to get myself up for. A few months ago, I saw a doctor, thinking maybe I had adult ADD. I was on strattera for a while, but it really wasn't making too much of a difference. So, I don't know, it's mid-semester, I could be doing a lot better in class, and I've come too far to drop out, and the usual would you rather be flipping burgers for the rest of your life (?) routine is getting old. I'm thinking diet and exercise might help somewhat, but what do you guys do to get out of a rut? I'm not a party guy, and I really don't have too many distractions (actually, anything is a distraction, or an excuse to not do work if I want it to be...) and I know I have the potential, but I just can't seem to get the most out of my brain...
    Anyway, thanks, guys.

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm the same, I realised after A-Levels that I wouldn't be able to put 100% effort in unless it was something I really loved doing. So I decided not to do a degree in Archaeology and instead I'm going to the Academy of Contemporary Music to do a Higher Diploma in Bass Guitar Performance. That probably didn't help you much, but it sure made me feel better :)

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I've a freind at uni that up until monday literally had not been to a single lecture or lab' for 6 and a half weeks. He lives on campus and wasn't ill, he just couldn't be bothered to attend. He's been doing the work and meeting deadlines so all seems fine unless the uni' is serious on attendance polocies.

One way to maintain decent attendance and in turn better intake would be to schedule your attendance plan, designating days off and skiving no days other than those specified - just make sure it adds up to at least 80% ! I did this through 6th form and came out OK..

Thats pretty much the only input I have. If you're not willing to do the material/achieve your potential (talking of which, what exactly is your potential/how do you define this level of 'discepline'?) then no-one can help, really.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Listen to Five Iron Frenzy.

Seriously, it's like Prozac distilled into ska.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Called DISCIPLINE, try it.

Mike

6. I would suggest exercising/working out. Whenever I find myself having problems focusing, or just generally feeling blah, I go for a walk. It has both mental and physical benefits, and each one feeds the other. Give it a try.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Good advice, that. Also, every Friday night I make it a point to go out with friends. Usually I drink a bit, but that's just cause I drink all the time. The point is that getting out and doing things other than worrying about school at least one day every week does wonders to help me decompress.

8. Heroin.

Just kidding. ;)

Anyway, just try to run it out, that's what I would do, stick with it, till things get better.

9. "Heroin"

I needed a good laugh, and you gave it to me tonight. :p

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thanks for the input, guys.

Keep the comments like this coming...
    I think I just need booted in the arse a bit more...

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Nah, boot in the arse doesn't help much for some of us. I'd say, take care of your physical and mental health.

Exercise a bit, just couple of times each week for example by playing something with your friends or going to the gym etc.

And during the weekends, go grab a pint or two with your classmates, and you know, even if you are there to learn stuff, it doesn't mean you would have to work your brains out each night - you just have to make sure you are progressing towards your final goals gradually, you don't need an A from every test.

So relax a bit, it's even ok to skip a couple of classes, sometimes, if you feel like doing something else. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

This from your lazy student comrade :D

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

To get out of a funk means to "lighten up". So I just laugh at myself. Everyone else does. Then, I am not so lonely.