1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you do when the law fails you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jul 17, 2008.

1. On the weekend I posted how I had just heard a few of my friends had landed in jail. I've since been filled in to the whole story, and it's something I have a hard time dealing with.

Quite a big group of my friends were at a public park drinking, several rookie cops who are recently on strike walk up in civilian clothes with kevlar over top and tell everyone to leave the park. Everyone starts walking away, mumbling "stupid pigs" and such, and the cops walk off.

Fast forward two minutes and half the group is walking fast, half the group is walking slower. The cops come back and say "I thought I told you kids to leave?", in which place my friend says "What the **** does it look like we're doing?" as they were walking to catch up to everyone else.

At this point the cop grabs her, who is 110lbs and maybe 5'3. Pins her to the ground and puts his hand over her mouth. Noone can believe it. At that point her boyfriend says "Hey get the **** off of my girlfriend she didn't do anything" and walking over, where a cop extends his extendo-baton and cracks him over the head. Meanwhile my other friend is like "Whoa whoa whoa! Noone is being violent calm the **** down, we're not doing ******* anything!!!" and HE get's an extendo-baton in the face. At this point the girl is back to a standing position and a cop hits her head off of the side of the cop car, and another friend tries to pick her up as the cop is trying to drag her back up as well. She says to our friend "Let me go!" and then punches the cop right in the nose, knocking him out and shattering his nose. At this point more cops have arrived and are pinning almost everyone against the ground face first with knees pinned at their necks.

At this point they pepper spray 4 of them and put them in cuffs where they sit in the cop cars. There are still a few people not cuffed just standing there in disbelief of what just happened, as the cops joke around and laugh about it. Except for the one cop, who ended up in the hospital for a few days.

4 of them went to jail, one was let out the next day because they couldn't pin anything on her, the two guys were let out the day after that with bullcrap charges on bail, and the girl who put the cop out was let out on monday on bail.

There were pictures documenting all the injuries sustained, on of them has been spitting out blood for 5 days. They are completely screwed financially and may go to jail.

Of course noone should have been there in the first place, drinking in public is against the law, but that does not give an officer any right to use ANY force on anyone for anything. It's obviously that there are no real steps that can be taken legally to support my friends in what happened. So what DO you do when the legal system abuses it's power, and what do you do to fight police brutality?

Nobody in the situation is saying that we are the most model citizens, but being attacked by someone with a weapon when you aren't being violent or even posing a threat is wrong. Who polices the police? Who would even care that 4 punks got roughed up and thrown in jail because some rookie cops wanted to get a thrill?

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well if it were me, I'd contact the local media. Possibly get a lawyer. I don't believe that without an evidence of the brutality not being warranted that there is much you can do.

But, as you weren't there and you heard this from your friend I have to wonder if certain aspects weren't exaggerated. Not to judge your friends, but their behavior of drinking in public and after just being told to move along calling the cops "stupid pigs" and then when questioned again, swearing at the cops, doesn't leave me feeling like they're being 100% honest. Generally those who who don't have the respect for authority in the first place and go out of their way to make themselves feel like they were inconvenienced are the first ones to push the story over the line.

NOT TO SAY that it didn't happen. Obviously if there are pictures of the injuries than there was an event that caused them, but I'm just saying that some details may have been left out to make themselves look better.

3. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Hahahaha, a cop got knocked out by a girl! He will be the laughing stock of the force for a long time. Sorry to hear about your friends, but that is really funny to me.

4. Nope, no details left out. I know my friends and if they deserved it they would have taken their lumps. You have to remember that there were many witnesses who weren't involved at all. All aspects of the story check out. A lot of the people involved feel that one of the officers may or may not have been on drugs (large dialated pupils) and the other rookies just went along with it. Had these have been older more experienced officers, we know that this would never have happened. My friends may be mouthy, but they are not violent people. And two of the people who were attacked are very quiet and reserved people, as I said one of the girls who was pepper sprayed and put in jail didn't say or do anything at all except for try and pick the other girl up from the ground.

Nothing has been left out, nothing has been embellished.

Haha for sure, especially a girl who is only 110lbs at 5'3! He was in the hospital for 2 days!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, don't break the law, you don't have to worry, that's my motto..

cuss at a cop, you're officially stupid - you get what you ask for, cuss at me in person, lights out for you. sorry, don't act like ass. period.

as to using an ASP on the head, that's just wrong, you're supposed hit muscle tissue, NOT any bone. that should be prosecutable as assault, maybe even ag assault..more than likely who are they going to believe?

lastly, there are always two sides to every story.

i'm sure i'm going to piss off a lot of people here. i don't care.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I thought you were less blunt than I was.

7. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Call Batman, he'll help you.

8. This is pretty much the majority of responses I expect from the talkbass community, so I really don't mind your response. All in all, you're right, don't break the law and don't worry. The way I see it personally is that I choose to break the law, I choose to accept the consequences if I get caught. If that is drinking in public, I accept if I get caught my booze is poured out and I get a $120 fine, and worst case scenerio a night in the drunk tank. If I attack a cop, I accept that I'll probably be beaten with clubs and thrown in jail. The problem is that there is nothing that stops a cop from escalating the situation. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, a cop can attack me with a weapon and throw me in jail, and I can't do a thing about it. Not one of my friends deserved to be hit, sprayed, cuffed or jailed. Even the one who put the cop in the hospital did it out of self defense.

I have known people who have deserved to go to jail. Who have made the wrong choices and escalated situations themselves, nobody ever has a problem with it. The thing that scares me is cops that escalate situations for kicks because there are no reprocussions for them other than what we can dish out right then and there, which will have dire consequences later on.

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I went to prison....

And foughjt for 10 months until the DA dismissed the charges.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    The police violated their constitutional rights (probably a bunch of them).
    Time to call the ACLU or your local legal rights organization.

The police beat your friends up under the color of authority.

Did I hear the word "lawsuit"?

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Prison......

My prison name is Stoney. You know why you need a prison name>

If a priosner tries to kil you, yoju have to ask to be reloacred to a new line (which is like a celll block in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison). You get pulled out of the line, and you're put in soitary for a couple of weeks. Finallly, you get reassigned to a new line, but if ntone knows yoour real name, tjeu can still find tyou.

You need something that doesn't stick.

My boy, Friday, named me Stoney. It was a name of a friend of his that ad died recently.

y frken ds called me Stoney. Everyone else called me Suicide.

12. Go to the press. Shame the b******s .

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
  14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    There isn't much you can do. I doubt you've heard the full story though. Eitherway, breaking the law and insulting a police officer is not the way to create a friendly atmosphere for peaceful resolution of a situation, so they shouldn't be too surprised to have been arrested.

15. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada

Yeah? Well once when I got in a fight in high school, I had to go from the main office to the vice principal's office to the principal's office, back to the vice principal's office, then detention, then home. I got yelled at severely by the authorities but I stayed strong, from then on everyone called me Rock.

...:p

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

My local park has been taken over at times by youths drinking, vandalising and setting fire to stuff etc. As local residents we have been asking the police to take a tougher line on this - maybe I should let them know that in other countries they can sort this out!! :p

17. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    First rule of dealing with the police: Always talk to them politley, no matter how drunk you are, no matter how arsey they are being, always be polite and never swear.

I was walking home absolutly wrecked once and found a shopping trolley in the street, so I started pushing it along. A minute later the police pull up and ask me what I'm doing. I merely stated that I was returning the trolley to its rightful place (which was marks and spencers). They tried to say that marks and spencers was back the other way. However, I stated that the food entrance, where the trolleys were kept, was around on the other street. They left me alone after that. If I tried swearing at them, e.g "What the f*** does it look like" etc, I would've probably ended up being arrested for drunk and disordely.

However, if the story is what you say it is, and you have independant witnesses to cobarate this, then you could probably file for brutality or misconduct charges which could lead to your friends' charges being dropped because the police mishandled the situation.

Putting a police officer in the hospital does not help though, I mean your friend could be looking at serious jail time if I'm not mistaken.

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    IF the incident occured as your friends say (and notice how big the "if" is, because I have my doubts), then the officers are in a LOT of trouble. No Department wants Officers like that to be associated with them, and the other poster is right.....strikes to the head with an impact weapon are forbidden unless deadly force is justified.

19. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    1st order of business - get a lawyer.
    Unless your friends got violent 1st, or the cops felt that there was a real possibility of them getting violent, these cops were in the wrong. Mouthing off to a cop may be stupid, but sure as hell isn't grounds for getting your noggin bashed with a baton, end of story.

My gut feeling is that there's more to this, but either way...lawyer up.

20. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey man,

Cops asked your friends to leave but they started the fire with their comments: pigs...f*** this, f*** that, Police are expecting you to obey. Next time just say: YES SIR AND LEAVE.

Your friends just learned a lesson in a hard way.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021