1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what do you do when you find you just don't "fit" with other bands?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lately my band has been on a "break". Fitting for the summer, really, but I like bands that have some more business on the agenda.

I went to CL. I posted up an ad (sax/bass player looking for a band). I say "I'll do covers, I'll do originals, I play a whole variety of everything [and have for over 10 years] but I feel I'm most adept at rock."

I get a whole bunch of people still yet sending invitations to play jazz gigs (because if I play sax, I MUST be looking for jazz) or a bunch of question mark folk who go ".......what do you mean, you like rock?"

I don't get it. I made it prettymuch **** simple for these people, and yet they still don't get that "yes, i'm looking to play shows with fun, **** simple music that comes out with a check each night, no check is fine too". :eyebrow: I mean do they want me to say my true feelings which is basically I'm an atonalist who enjoys noise music, rap, techno, breakcore, and has a whole library of bands nobody listens to in my cd collection?

ugh just when you start making it easy for people, they make it difficult for themselves again. :scowl:

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you don't want to play jazz, say "I don't want to play jazz" rather than "I play a whole variety of everything."

3. why is the sky still cloudy when someone says the sun's out?

or, to put it better, why is it so difficult to comprehend when someone defines themself as a "rock" musician that they play "rock"?

4. No matter what you say in your CL ad, if you state you play a horn, you WILL still get queries from horn, funk, and jazz bands looking for horns.

Good horns are hard to find.

As a bass player, how much sax are you hoping to play at a typical gig? Every time you pick up the sax, someone else has to pick up the bass. This in and of itself can create a problem for most bands.

5. What? You said you play sax and a whole lot of everything, but prefer rock. That means you are open to play anything. So of course you're getting jazz requests.
    It's like a radio show that advertises they play pop music being surprised at the requests for Justin Beiber.

-RTK

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I dunno, man. When someone tells me they like rock music I always end up asking the follow up, "Do you mean classic rock, prog, glam, grunge, 90's alternative, hair, etc...." because there's a whole lot of varieties of rock, and some of them I like more than others.

7. ok, here's an easy way of putting it. When you hear "rock" do you think of Poison? Or The Who? or Captain Beefheart? :D

as a bass player I've been playing Bari exclusively in my other band, lol.

Aretha Franklin, Blood Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Blues Brothers, Huey Lewis, Wilson Pickett, Van Morrison, that screams "everything" to you? A variety doesn't mean cover the whole spectrum of music.

Frankly this is the type of **** that makes me want to chuck both instruments in the gutter and start playing guitar instead. There, I said it.

8. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Create a new opportunity for yourself. Make it into whatever you want it to be, with players you can see eye-to-eye with. But be careful what you wish for, because it could happen.

9. people are too one-dimensional. Mismarketing everything in music has created a drone.

10. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    Not really trying to start a flame war but you come off as being extremely abrasive. You posted a CL ad that said you preferred one style of music but were open to whatever..... Seems pretty normal that a horn player who said he's up for whatever to get jazz gig offers.

I'd suggest being a little more clear next time and maybe try to work on your communication skills before you get the rep around your community of being a douchebag.

Just my 0.02

11. To be honest, if you create as much ambiguity in real life as you have here and in your CL ad, it's no wonder you think everyone around you is confused. You're the kind of musician I typically steer well clear of.

Smartest thing you've said so far.

12. Because i'm expecting people to use reading ability? You know, in 1910 they average 6th grader was as smart as today's 12th grader. And yea, lol I do have an acoustic guitar.

I'm going to humor you for a bit. When you go out and you hear a basic band, what exactly do you hear? Now, how much differentiation would you say you hear when you hear a band with a horn section? Because in my experience, I hear punk, ska, reggae, rock, funk, disco, and so on. Not Charlie Parker covers.

Call that being abrasive, but I'm amazed how locked in people feel they are to one style simply because of the instrument they choose.

13. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    But you're not defining yourself as a "rock musician." You're defining yourself as a musician who plays "a whole variety of everything." Since you are such a fan of reading comprehension, surely you can appreciate the difference.

14. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    you posed a question and then kinda went on a rant, so i'm guessing you don't really want an answer... but just in case you do, if i find people or situations i seem to be incompatable with i move on.

for whatever it's worth it seems a little over the top to react so strongly just to getting offers to play music you don't want to. i hope things improve for you. if you stay positive there's a better chance they will. :)

15. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    Methinks there's going to be a lot of side-stepping around this point.

OP ....just stop. You have no point and you're looking silly.

16. lets look into that phrase: a whole variety=jazz?

even better, turn on your radio to your local pop station. Any Duke Ellington? Charlie Parker? Coltrane? Mingus?

Please, let me know if there is any time. I'll be very surprised.

17. lol you sound like a disgruntled feminist.

18. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Ya think Ian Anderson ever had this problem?

Flute player seeking rock band. ****Serious inquiries only!!!****

19. I don't feel I'm reacting strongly, I just feel at odds because everyone claims to be doing their own unique "thing" lately and for all the claims of differentiation I hear, a lot of it sounds quite the same.

I know it sounds cliche, but LMFAO and Skrillex probably have the right ideas; straightforward, party focused, "rock" music. ......mostly.

20. I'm just regurgitating what the majority of posters to this thread have listed as far as their understanding on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.