Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do when you find your stolen bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jja412, Mar 5, 2005.

1. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    It happened....
    I finally found my stolen jazz. At least part of it. It had been sold on Ebay in January, and is now for sale again.

QUICK EDIT: The seller of this auction had nothing to do with the theft of my bass and was as understanding as anyone could possibly be of my situation. I want that to be clear, so as not to ruin/tarnish his reputation or good name.

My Jazz body up for auction!!!

This bass was stolen from my church (along with about $4000 of my microphones) in Saint Louis about two yrs ago.
    Link to to stolen gear thread.

I'm absolutely positive this is my bass. The body is actually a USACG Jay Jr, not a Warmoth dinky J. The date stamp is a sham- I bought the body new in 2002 (looks like a library stamp to me.). The finish is a sparkle back with a sparkle burst front by Roxy Guitar Finishers. All the hardware is identical to where I put it. Wonder where the neck/pickups/preamp/tuners/bridge went?? Not to mention all my microphones. I doubt this is the guy who stole it, It says Pennsylvannia on the listing.

So anyway - what do I do?? Buy back the body?? Ask the guy where he got it?? Go on a tristate killing spree?? I haven't been angry about this for over a year, but this just gets me... :mad:

Looking for advice. :help:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Inform eBay, and any authorties you feel neccessary. Contact the seller, ask him where he got the body from and pass that information along as well. It helps if you have any proof of ownership (pics, serial numbers, etc. etc.).

Ray

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Well, probably start by calling the police and going from there. probably also have both photos ready. wood grain can be sorta like a fingerprint, so a/b em to be sure...

4. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I have no pics... it got stolen just four days after I completed the assembly work. No serial numbers either. It was a parts bass. I just can't believe it popped up. :scowl:

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, that's going to be sort of hard to prove. If you can, and want it back badly enough, you can buy it back I suppose. In any case, good luck!

Ray

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

What a hard spot to be in , take any legal means availible to recover your bass back. Do you have pics and recipts and ways to varify that you are the owner of it?.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Would you consider buying it back?

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    If its worth that much to you, but it back.

9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I sent the guy a link to your original listing... it sounds like a too huge of a fluke for it not to be yours.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Is there somthing wrong with the killing spree idea?

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Save the best for last.

Ray :D

12. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Does "Roxy guitar finishers" take photos of their work? They might have it around for the portfolio.... who knows worth a shot.

13. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Oh, I'm pretty sure its mine all right. I went through three different configs on the bridge, and all the holes are there. (I'm getting a lot better at this assembly thing, though. That was my second attempt at making my own bass, and first attempt at slotting a nut. :rolleyes:

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    solve it like in GTA but GTB style.

Force him to show any document that acredits him of its ownership, in worst case it can end up in a police auction :D

15. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I'm considering buying it back, but I hope I don't have any competition.. :eyebrow:

16. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I don't think that the police is the answer. They didn't even try to help when it was stolen. The church wouldn't claim it on their insurance (afraid of raising rates) and my homeowners wouldn't cover it. So the police said to check the pawn shops and try to buy it back. :mad:

It's also gonna cost me more to legally do anything about it with lawyers, etc. Add that I have no documentation of my own... just frustrating, that's all.

:(

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Just one quick thing, and it might be something I'm just being stupid on... you "stolen bass" listing only listed one 3-way switch (bypass/active/mute), but this one has two... so maybe it's not yours? I know what you mean though when you see a bass and you can go "it's mine" and be absolutly correct. Best of luck again!

Ray

18. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The church wouldn't claim it? yeesh.. that has gotta hurt.

19. my first love (mim jazz bass with sd hot pup's, badass 2, etc.) was stolen in august, complete with a hemp strap that had my dead grandfather's police chief medal on it, and i recently found out where it is but even the local police are scared of these people (i live in a uh, small town) so as of right now there is nothing i can do and it's the most infuriating feeling in the world. so if anyone wants to fly down to cape breton, nova scotia, and help me put together a posse, i'll uh, teach you some hot licks and be your best friend.

[​IMG]

20. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Yeah, I had an EMG j-set/pre with a booster switch installed first. Then I decided to go Bart/Aguilar - emgs were a bit to HiFi with the graphite neck. So I just put in a dummy switch to fill the hole. Shoulda put that in my listing.