1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you do when you notice the "spark" that kept your band motivated is gone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DChalo, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Well long story short, we were a very driven band and practiced very frequently and everyone was very responsive and motivated, but one of our members had to leave to study abroad and we got a new member, but the spark and drive is gone. I'm not sure how to revive it. I'm assuming most of it is because we finally got 4 people to sound good together and then one had to leave and now we have to re-rehearse everything with the new guy(s).

Does anyone have any tips from past experiences to help get the spark back? Our new guitarist is a major step down from our last, but we have already played with 3 other guys that were way worse and finally found this new guy and we'll accept him. We don't have the time and money to waste on any more unmotivated and unprepared musicians.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Seems like the band didn't really "accept" the new guy if they aren't motivated anymore. They may have said they did, but they didn't really.

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    don't ask a guitar player who's a step down to join the band. every time i've been in a band where a really good musician was replaced with a fair to below average one, the band ultimately breaks up. and so, imo, it should. a guitarist that doesn't know the songs yet is one thing, but one who isn't as good makes me not want to play.

delta7fred likes this.
  4. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Exactly what happened imo. The old guy is actually still in the group chat and makes jokes about being late to practice and stuff XD.

You know it's not as easy as it sounds. Getting a new band member is a gamble. Even if they are good at first, they might end up screwing the band over later on down the line with being late or being a no-show.

5. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    while that's true, the same could be said of a poor musician, only he/she would also be a poor musician, making everyone's hard work sound worse.

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Just do what Metallica did to Jason Newsted.

Maybe the new guy will be completely clueless the whole time like Newsted was until the day before he quit.

8. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Don't race a three-legged horse, man. If you love it, let it go. When the thrill is gone, no one will want to remain in the band. Should they decide to show up, they may not engage.

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    is it okay to race a three-legged horse in a race full of three-legged horses? just wondering...

10. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Well in that case, we can't discriminate! :D

pcake likes this.
  11. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Are all the horses missing a leg in the same location? What about the 3 legged zebra?

Roberto Nunez and pcake like this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I would sit down and talk goals. The thing that motivates people is having someplace they're excited to get to and feeling like they're making progress getting there. Is it originals or covers? It might be setting a goal to get a new album out, to get a tour booked, to hit a certain mark on a fan base, or to get into a bigger venue. Then you can talk about what steps need to happen to get there and how you're doing.

Crazy_Jake and bassfran like this.
  13. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    It really depends on how much of a flat tire this new fellow is. I was in one band where the replacement drummer's time was so bad, that as a bassist I couldn't look at him and I'd stare out the window just watching cars go by while playing in a depressed fashion. It took us a few months to realize he had to be fired because we were young, so it was a whole summer of misery trying to get this drummer to a point where we could play out.

If the new member is not as great of a musician, he needs to make up for that in enthusiasm, help booking gigs, bringing fans, the hang, etc. It's possible to click with musicians of different levels, but you need to be able to gauge if you guys are heading to that point.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  14. Smogcity

Smogcity

May 12, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Fire the drummer of course..

15. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Sometimes the synergy just isn't there with someone else. Get a better replacement and rehearse as a 3- piece.. until you find the right person... that way you're still moving forward and "keeping your chops up". I had the same issue with a guitarist and eventually found one even better!

16. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    find new songs , new styles to jam too should bring the spark back!!

17. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Try to remember all the crazy things you did when the thrill was there. Try rehearsing in a disused part of the library or the backseat of a car. Try role-play--you dress up as a French maid and the guitarist as the domineering banker with a heart of gold. Have surprise rehearsals in the middle of the workday. Try rehearsing in different positions--maybe you can play the drums this time. Rent a rehearsal space in a different city and pretend it's a one-night pickup gig with a band you'll never see again, and you have no music except for the lead singer flashing changes behind his back.

BACKLASHBASS, NJRG, smogg and 5 others like this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'll give the new person some time to up his/her game, and if the "spark" is really gone, I'll quit. To be honest, more often than not someone else quits first and that settles it :cool:

jerry likes this.
  19. navijaz

navijaz Guest

Sep 20, 2016
    It's really like in any relationship. You have to figure out whether you want to go on or split up and nobody can really help you with that.

From my own experience, I would say: fire the new guy, work as a three-piece for a while and see where things go. You might find another guitarist, you might split up. (And this unfortunately usually the course of things...)

20. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    and sleep with his girl friend.

Smogcity likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021