What do you do with more than 1 bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hey again, I guess this is alot like my past thread about when is it to much basses....but I dont care. This is my next issue. Im going to get the P-Bass, And use if for everything, recording, live, practice, etc. But I also want other basses, like a sterling, ricks, other fenders, etc. Assuming I get any of those basses. What would I even do with them? Please, I dont need some wise answer like "play them" just becuase im an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I mean what purpose would they serve in my life, besides looking pretty, if I have my P-bass for everything?

Btw, to all of you here at TB. I need a theripist...thats what I want my little name thingy to be, where it says registerd use. Keep that in mind mods...
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Because various basses sound and feel different and variety is the spice of life?
  3. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I hate my life....or its my inability to pick a damn bass. Im sorry for my hostility. I dont know anymore.
  4. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    You'll find that in certain situations you will need a different tone than a P-bass tone. I know i've been in a situation where my soapbar pick ups weren't giving me the low end I needed. Every bass is different. Every bass has a different sound. 2 stingrays won't sound exactly alike.

Of course there are tribute bands that demand you play a certain bass. Beatle tribute bands usually ask the bassist to play a Violin bass. I know a Nirvana tribute band that asks auditioning bassists to have one of those Gibson RD things.

Basses play different, sound different, and feel different. Its always good to have a stable of sounds to choose from.
  5. I play every single bass I own.

That's really what I do with them.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Call it a, "hobby."
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree with the above, variety is that spice of life. Sometimes I think and play differently from one bass to the next. Why not have more than one?
  8. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Occasionally, you might break a string at a gig. Even if you find one bass to be the be-all end-all for you, a backup is a good idea. Stopping a gig so you can change a string impresses no one, and playing through a show with a missing string is just no fun.
  9. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I totally understand having a backup bass. If I ever break a string on my bass, I dont want to have to restring it. So im thinking your right about that. So whatever. Im gonna go to bed soon I think.

Btw, what colors do you think P-bass's look good in. Im just curious, post suggestions as to color and pg color. Im just curious to see what else is out there that looks cool. I love white with a black pick guard though.
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I usually keep seven to ten basses on hand.

Generally speaking, they are all different colors.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't own only one pair of shoes either, do you?
    Different shoes for different occasions.
    Same with basses.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If your P-bass (or whatever bass you decide to get) does everything for you, then you don't really need any other basses except as backup.

A notable exception would be if you needed other *types* (not models) of basses: say, if you decided to play fretless as well as fretted, or play 5 or more strings in addition to four. In that case your P-bass would not do everything for you.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My opinion is a P bass just isnt versatile enough. Its a great bass but really has one tone. Also, you at least need a back up bass if u gig alot. Pretty simple stuff

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well in my experience I would never be able to break a string.. maybe if i using a metal pick or something. Maybe i have a soft touch but bass strings are thick and are not easily broken IME.

I will always only own one bass. Mine is a Fender Jazz. I just dont see the point of having more than one. Maybe i am just a minimalist. Instead of buying another bass, for variety of tone, you could pick up a sansamp bass driver or some other good pedal.
  15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I dream of owning more than one pair of shoes. Sigh... :crying:

As far as the basses go, a good instrument won't generally depreciate much, if you keep it for any longish period of time. And they cost very little to maintain. So it's really a fairly inexpensive hobby compared to, say, hot-rodding cars, which can very easily soak up every penny you have.

I use my favourite J bass on almost every gig I do. But I still like to have my other basses and they get played at home fairly regularly. I take different ones out as a backup and use them for the occasional set just for variety. I like to have "a collection". I think part of it is I spent so many years using pretty crappy gear that now I can afford decent stuff I enjoy spoiling myself. ;)
  16. neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    I want different basses for different tones and styles. I want a Warwick for that growl they have, I want a Fender Jazz Fretless for that tone, I want a Musicman StingRay for slapping. Different basses are good for different things.
  17. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I wish I could live with just one bass, but my mind switches around to much on what sounds I like. Right now my Epi. Thunderbird is what I have been playing for my main bass.

For me having more than one bass is a bad thing. I find myself playing each one trying to find which one I like the sound of best. Then my wife comes in with her biased opinion, and back to square one I go.

What I want is a MOJO bass my main go to bass. One that becomes my distinct sound and personality.
  18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i play a fretless bnf 6 (real soon) and a fretted studio 5

i dont neeed any more basses than those.
  19. In my opinion you should stick to one single bass till you REALLY need a backup (like - a string HAS broken onstage...)

I only had a single MIM Jazz for 2 years, then I got a MIJ Jazz (wanting an exact copy of the one I'd already got) - it sounded nothing like it, but gave me another set of sounds...

I've now got 4 basses which ALL sound different (even though 3 of them are Jazzes)...

so I'd say wait till you need it - If you need to I'd say get a MIM fretless Jazz for backup/your "other sound" or maybe a cheap 5-string if you de-tune a lot (otherwise you won't need it) but after a couple of basses you should be geared up for anything, you can always change the pickups if you need a different sound or else just buy a variax modelling bass...
  20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm kind of a creature of a habit so even though I have four basses, three of them are pretty much the same model, pickup config, etc. My need for more than one isn't so much for different tones as it is for different tunings.

Most of the cover bands I have played for require at least two different tunings (standard and Eb). I don't mind tuning up or down during practice, but at a gig it's more convenient to just switch basses.