1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you do with someone who coughs all day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 10, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I work in a cubicle city.. There are probably about 200 people on the floor where I work. Another department hired someone about 2 weeks ago who seems to be pretty ill. She is an elder women who hacks and coughs at a very high volume all day long. When she blows her nose it sounds like she is trying to pass a bus through her sinuses. I feel bad for her. As usual I just put my headphones on and do my job. (when I'm not here.):eek: Some of my co-workers have complained to my boss about her. I'm not saying they are wrong the new worker is pretty loud. They make jokes about her and I just keep quiet and nod. I wear my headphones because my co-workers play music (boring radio pop music :spit:,) pop gum, slam the door I sit next to, have loud phone conversations with their freinds, etc. So it's not like we are in a library. I just tune it out an do my job. My boss asked me what he should do and I didn't have an answer for him. I just hope this new employee doesn't lose her job over this.

2. Obviously the first thing your boss should do is go over and discuss the situation with her. She might have some kind of illness which might be contagious, and you wouldn't want it spreading all over the office.

3. The only way I can see of resolving this is for everyone else to cough all day long as well.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Take 'em out back and put one between the eyes.

5. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Tell everyone she has ebola. Watch ensuing panic.

6. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh, sorry, I meant Live and Let Live.

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Those people are out of line. Imagine how she feels...

8. slobake

My throat is killing me.

9. slobake

Yes, it's interesting. My boss told me she that she told the company about various health issues after she was hired. I wonder how he kept from hacking throught the interview process. I doubt it's contagious or she wouldn't be here.

10. slobake

I hear what you are saying. I'm trying to figure this one out, I and also understand why my co-workers are bothered.

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

We have a series of TV adverts running here in the UK, telling us to visit the doctor if a cough persists for more than a couple of weeks since it can often be the first sign of developing lung cancer.

She may have more to worry about than her co-workers antipathy.

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Find out if your company has any "work from home" jobs and if she might be a candidate ...

13. slobake

Yup, sure sounds like it. I work for a health care company with good medical benefits, could be why she got a job here. If it's true it was a wise move on her part. I would do the same thing. We do go through a lot of health screening and do various health related activities to get discounts on our health insurance. So whatever she has I'm sure the company knows about it by now.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Tactfully offer her a soothing lozenge? Or three.

15. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Offer her a lozenge?

Geez, this just seems so obvious...

[EDIT: Got there seconds before me, Hover...]

16. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Sounds uncomfortable, but at least it's not chronic flatulence.

17. Start wearing a mask and tell people you're trying to avoid catching tuberculosis.

18. slobake

Good suggestion, is did think of that. But if you heard her you'd realize the futility of that.

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Its a great excuse to wear a mask like the one Im wearing in my avatar.

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I wonder if her cubie is under an air vent? I used to get a pretty wicked dry cough when I lived in a cubical city at intel. Once I figured out what it was, it was easily fixed.