1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you do with the fingers you don't pluck or pick with?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Psycho, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Psycho

Psycho

Jun 24, 2008
    Just a random thought, but what do you do with the fingers you don't pick and/or pluck with?

I rest my thumb on the pickup, my ring finger on the string above the one i'm plucking to eliminate accidental hits or noise, and keep my pinky on the same one as the ring or above it.

What do the rest of you do?

2. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Knit. I'm an excellent multi-tasker.

3. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I hold my pinky out like a proper gentleman who is drinking tea.

4. mtshark

mtshark

Nov 28, 2008
    I use them to entertain the ladies that I get with all my awesome bass skillz.

:bassist:

:meh:

:(

:rollno:

5. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I had them surgically removed so as not to interfere with the ones doing the work.

6. My bass doesn't have a thumb rest so I usually rest my thumb on the neck pickup or the E string. My non plucking fingers just hang. I don't really pay much attention to where they are.

7. E_Bass

E_Bass

Nov 21, 2010
    I let all of the fingers that aren't playing hang.

8. I usually conduct an orchestra with my pinky.

9. RestInPieces

RestInPieces

Jun 14, 2009
    Well, my right hand thumb is floating around there somewhere. Maybe not floating, kinda of a moving anchor thing, if im playing on the A-string the thumb is anchored on the E, and if im playing on D it's on the A. Right hand pinky is sticking out straight.

10. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    I keep them in my front left pocket!

11. you made me think about it and then my whole plucking action felt super awkward as id never given any thought to what my other fingers were doing! but yeah they just sorta hang out

12. grrrr!!!!

grrrr!!!!

Jan 5, 2009
    Europe
    I use my pinky to scroll down on my fav tab site!

13. pig

pig

Jul 18, 2009
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I lost mine in an extreme bass competition accident on top of mount Olympus. Of course I won the thing due to my extremely awesome bass killing skills. So I don't miss em.

14. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    At some point months back, I found I could play with more accuracy with unused fingers tucked into my palm...awkward first and now automatic...though I sometimes wonder if it increases the depth of my overall hand in an awkward fashion??

15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I find them useful for other tasks, so even tho they don't get used for bass playing, I haven't cut them off.

16. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    I guess I'm a typical Irishman. I make a fist and unfold just the fingers I need.

Edit: I really should learn to open them up so I can mute with them.

17. I anchor my thumb on the pickup and if I'm playing on the E string they just hang, if I'm on the A they both sit muting the E string and if i play on the D or G strings my pinky is on the E and my ring finger is on the A. I've been doing this naturally since i learned fingerstyle.

18. Man, I don't do anything with them but I was once at this extreme bass competition on top of mount Olympus and some guy lost his. Of course he won the damn thing due to this extremely awesome bass killing skills. I sure hope he doesn't miss them.

19. It's really not something I think about. They're just "there" somewhere hanging out.

20. I will think about this at rehearsal tonight and my performance, already mediocre, will suffer as a consequence.