1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you do with your old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasper383, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have several sets of strings that are slightly used, and would be useable by someone else. For example, the strings that came on my Ibanez are Elixirs. I used them for a few hours, then put on others. They are like new, but I probably won't use them.

Is there a market for used but useable strings? What do you do with your strings?

2. i always keep an old set for back up, if a string breaks on my bass, then i have a spare worn in string to replace it with.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I usually just throw mine away. I think there is some sort of musicians charity that you can donate used strings to underprivilaged musicians. Also, there is a limited market for used strings here on talkbass, but you have to be a supporting member to list items for sale in the classifieds.

4. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    Good question. I've often wondered the same thing. I keep mine for a while...until I get tired of looking at them or I"ve swapped them around so much that they start to look crappy. Then, I toss 'em out...not a pack rat.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum for information about donating old strings to Madagascar. I have a box of about 5 sets right now, waiting to put a few more in before I send off the whole lot.

It's a good cause. DO IT. :)

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC

Is it legit?

7. whip people with them

8. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    i have like 6 sets that i want to do something with but is this Madagascar thing legit?

Dave

9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I got the wise-ass idea one day to cut some of mine into short lengths and try to use them in the weed eater. I figured, being made of metal, they would last longer than the nylon string that normally goes in there.

The good news is that I did not lose any eyes, digits, or anything else. The bad news is that the strings really didn't last very long in the weed eater at all. It was a very short time before the core broke, and I think the centrifugal force pulled the winding apart straight away.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020