1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you do with your old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by coldwater, Aug 18, 2012.

1. coldwater

coldwater

Jun 15, 2008
    Generally I change my strings every 6 months or when I have my basses setup. I usually keep one set in my gig bag just in case, but throw the others away. I have heard of people donating them. If so where?
    Thanks

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    i keep mine all coiled up on a coat hanger. multiple brands, types, guages. must have about a dozen sets on there now. just in case i break a string and am too lazy to drive to GC. or i want to swap a set from bass to bass. makes it easy to find out which set works best on which bass.

3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Use them as simulated hoses and hydraulic lines on model airplanes and futuristic dioramas... :bag:

4. Keeping old bass strings is probably the first step on the road to hoarding...

5. Tigger Bangdang

Tigger Bangdang Warrior Endorsing Artist

Feb 8, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    I use mine to line the bottom of my trash can.. :) BUt donating them does seem like a great idea.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    When dead, soak them for a few days in denatured alcohol. You can do this several times to bring them back to life.

End result - BIG savings in string replacement costs.

7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    +1 that's what I'm doing also...

8. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I soak my strings in denatured alcohol a few times, but when they go completely dead, I cut off the ball ends to make jewelry.

9. I cut the ball ends off mine and have them in a snack-sized Ziplock bag. I'm not sure what will happen with them in the long run, but for now it's kinda cool.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I change mine every month or two, on at least my two main basses, depending on how much playing time they see. I toss mine in the garbage. I have never even come close to breaking a bass string and would have to imagine it takes an insane amount of stress to break them as I have held up several basses by their strings before... so I am not to worried about breaking a string now, no need to keep spares.

11. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I build basses so when I change out a set I keep them to use for setting up and working with instruments. Then once the instrument is complete I can put on a brand new set.

I've developed an odd habit with my string changing on my personal basses. I find that brand new strings are the sound I love on my fretless but for fretted bass I prefer strings that are broken in. Instead of changing both sets every 4 months or so like I used to I now buy a new set every 2 months. The fretless gets the new set and the old strings are moved over to the fretted bass. Since the fretless doesnt leave dings in the windings like frets do the strings are a perfect set for my fretted. This way I can change strings twice as often while spending the same amount of money and always having the tone I like. I like stainless rounds on both basses. They really shine brand new for a hifi fretless tone and the broken in set loses some of the harshness I dislike about a fresh set of stainless rounds on a fretted bass.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I keep a couple sets of old rounds in the gauges I use to act as 'files' if needed for the slight "adjustments' any nuts may need on basses I buy ... other than that, they go in drawer and when I get several sets I will list them on here for pretty much the cost of shipping ... generally whoever gets the batch will do pretty good, as many of the sets I take off are fairly fresh, just not the strings I use ... there are always folk on here that can use cheap/free stings, and a great way to test/sample without spending a bundle ...

13. iovar

iovar

May 7, 2011
    Chania, Crete
    Those that I like (roto's swingbass 66, d'addario pro-steels): Boil - bake - reuse .

Those that I am not too fond of (nickels, flats, coated) : I keep them around if someone else wants them, or in case I feel like trying their type again.
    I've also used a couple of them to freshen up basses with rusty strings, that I found laying around on home "studios".

14. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I leave mine on my bass.

15. Same here for when I sculpt Sci-Fi miniature figures. I find round wounds usually best for this.
    Usually, I just toss old strings.

16. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Toss them. Can't reuse flats bent through a string-thru much :/ Can't sell them for pie crust either...

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I throw them out. Since they would have no possible use since I cut them as part of removal at about halfway area of string for. Basses with thru back of bridge holes rather then fast load.

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Usually toss unless I feel like making a necklace or I need spare strings for experimentation.

19. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    I've been doing that for some time now that's the way to go;)

20. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I don't ever change mine. I do have an old set in my case though and I used one of them to hold my muffler up when I was on my way to a gig.