Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do YOU do with your scales?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 11, 2001.

1. ok - i'm finally getting a little into theory, and going to have (almost) my first bass lesson soon - and i've only been gigging for 3 1/2 years ...

My questions:

1 - how does learning scales / modes as an isolated activity benefit you as a musician?
    2 - how do you apply these things to writing basslines? How do they help your musicianship / help you compose?
    3 - can someone explain chord / scale compatibility for me? I'm a little confused by the "Bass Grimoire" ....
    4 - what other activities (apart from playing scales) can help drum in / make sense of this knowledge?
    5 - are they really that important if you don't want to play jazz?
    6 - how many scales do you use in your basslines? When do the changes occur?

Etc. I wanna hear it, guys!!! I need to relate this stuff to MUSIC :)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Weigh things....

...oh, not that kind of scale?

...uh...usually I kinda scrape them off the fish before I cook them....

...wrong again??? Dang....

Seriously, I can't add anything constructive to what the Pacman said, so I'm being a smart@$$ (totally out of character, I know ;) ). He gave great advice, TAKE IT.

4. Thanks, pacman. Very comprehensive answer.

I've finally decided to get over my (probably stupid) prejudice against teachers and music theory, and take the advice of more advanced players like yourself ... which will hopefully translate into some pretty rapid improvements :)

I've been trying to understand the concepts behind the scales, and i think i'm doing ok, but it's the sort of thing it's just silly to try to do without a teacher.

My first lesson is coming up - i just hope i have something in common with this guy's tastes ... don't wanna learn Van Halen licks for $40 / hr :)

5. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No Prob, dude, I just want to pass along good info.

You can't go wrong with lessons, and if the guy tries to teach you VH licks, find another teacher! Your goal should be to learn music, not licks. I think you're thinking in the right direction, just need maybe a guide. My teacher (can't say enough good things about him) taught me to teach myself. Yours will, too, when you find the right one.

And dude, your band's website is a killer! (tho I'd like to hear some tunes.....)

6. Thanks, man, i designed the site myself.

It's a little bit mental at the moment; need to do a lot of work to make it OK for people with slower modems. When I get around to burning some MP3s I'll try to remember to give you notice :)

I've got 2 A4 pages written down of stuff i want to learn from my teacher, and there's not a single lick there :) I can work them out myself, and it will be a better excercise than watching someone's hands ... have started to spend some time playing along to CDs and working out parts though, something i should have been doing a lot more of over the years ....

Regards,
    David Lee

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Like I said, I had a great teacher, and kept all the materials he gave me. I'd been a pro for 10 years when I went to him and I felt like I had just started! But wow did I improve! If there's anything you need an extra word on...this is the place to come, and you can email me privately, too, if you want some in-depth stuff....

good luck, bro

8. Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ah, you speak such words of wisdom. Good luck in your search for a teacher.

For some basic information on the concepts behind scales, check out the "Idiot's Guide to Scales" thread in this forum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13089

Also, for some advice in finding a teacher, check out the links by Kung Fuqua in the "Teachers" thread in Miscellaneous:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13475