Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by monsterweights, Nov 11, 2002.

1. A lame slap pattern that you think sounds cool, but he was probably born playing it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A scale or arpeggio pattern

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. your favorite bass line from a song you know

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. other (specify)

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Hypothetical situation, but one that might come true for me next week.
    Let's say you are a fairly inexperienced adult player who is taking his first bass lesson in his life, and is lucky enough to be taking from a professor of a great Jazz school, and possibly the best bass player in North Texas. You walk into his house, say your hellos, and you sit down, plug in, and he says, "so let me hear you play".......
    What do you do?

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Give him an awful looking face and smack him in the mouth.

3. I'd just start...something. Nothing in particular. That'd be the best for him to hear. It'd let him know what your basic style is like, and what you comfort level is with the fingerboard.

4. Ask "what should I play?"

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd play the thing I played best.

I don't know what the big deal is. You're paying this person to listen to you so he can assess your skills and devise a plan to help you improve. It's good that you want to impress your instructor, but right now, you have nothing to prove.

The time to impress the socks off your instructor is when you come back for your next lesson with all the material he taught in your ears and under your fingers.

Just play a tune you know well, so the instructor can see how well you keep time and what your facility around the instrument is like.

Have a good lesson.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd play a variety of things to show the stronger and weaker points. I would not play "Louie Louie".

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    LOL

Yeah, man -- if he wants to hear you play something, so he can get a grasp of what you know and what you need to know, then do that. Just play something you know and let him take it from there.

Good luck!

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Pro Tip:
    respond every question with a question

:)

9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Who is this teacher and is he taking any other students? I've been looking for a good teacher.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd play something I'd been working on recently. No point trying to impress the guy as I know he's better than I am; instead, give him some insight into what I've been figuring out. I'd also preface my playing be explaining that was what I was doing.

The worst case scenario is that he either tears you to shreds or sniggers unpleasantly. End of bass lesson, no fee, and the knowledge that you need to find a less jerk-like instructor, no matter how skilled.

However, it's much more likely that this will give them a lot of insight into where you're coming from and they can use their experience to help you develop.

Wulf

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    What BB said, and...

A two octave major scale, quarter notes, 120 bpm, no rushing, no clams.

I'm not kidding; it's harder than it sounds, especially if you're nervous. Pull it off and maybe it'll keep him from pulling out that piece of sheet music he has every student sight read on their first lesson. :)

12. Thanks for all the feedback so far. I never meant to imply that I thought my new teacher was going to try to put me in an uncomfortable situation that would make me uncomfortable, it's just I have never taken a bass lesson and I have no idea what to expect. I am actually a tuba teacher, and play in a professional symphony, so my music background is strong, but my bass skills are underdeveloped. I drew up a list yesterday of 8 things I feel I could use help on, just trying to get my thoughts in order. I am strong in some areas, like reading, rhythm and theory, but I hope I can be helped in the following areas: (in no particular order)
    Chords
    muting
    ghosting
    eliminating fret noise
    Speed and technique
    Creativity
    Vibrato (fretless and fretted)
    hand position
    I am wondering how many others he will add to my list.
    For the person who wants to know who the teacher is, it's John Adams. I am very fortunate that somebody with his background and experiencec would take on a 33 year old P+W guy as a student.

Mark

13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mark,

Could you PM me his contact info? I'd really appreciate it since good teachers are hard to come by in this area.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I guess my advice is to play a piece that you really really feel. Maybe it's not your most practiced, or best sounding piece, but so much of music is emotional, and when you really feel the piece, your teacher will definitely be able to hear that.

15. I found him on the internet. THe guy has a HUGE reputation, his contact info is all over the web. That way you can read up on him and see if you think he would be the right kind of teacher for you.

P.S. are you going to Norm Stockton's clinic in Garland next month??