Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you feel about Elvis vocal skills?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zack01, Sep 19, 2004.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    i have just bought the deluxe versions of 68 comback special and the Hawai concert 73.

And he still impresses me how he sings.......it looks so easy and still no other male person could sings such hight vocals as he did.

I know understand why he didnt do any duetts........a person who would do a duett with Elvis would "kill himself"......Elvis would dwarf any male artist in a duett.

How good was he as a singer?(you who can music?)Im a just ordinary music fan.....

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    He was very very talented when he was sober/unmedicated. His vocal ability fluctuated with his health. But at his prime, he had a strong, unique voice. Don't fall for the hyperbole though - since you mentioned it, I'll point out that many male singers have had better ranges than Elvis, even within Rock and Roll. But he had that X factor. Like John Lennon and Johnny Cash, Elvis just had something special to his voice that makes him more appealing than thousands of more technically able singers.

So enjoy his music, but don't fall into the "My Elvis can beat up your Pavarotti" thing.

3. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    Which other male singers had better range?then Elvis?

4. Prince has an amazing vocal range. I do believe he has an X-Factor as well.

I just started to listen to Elvis again. Awesome. Pity he died before my time. I love the songs and movies from that era! :hyper:

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Oh, Otis Redding, Paul McCartney, Sting, Freddie Mercury, tons of gospel singers, just off the top of my head.

And every male professional opera singer in the world.

But this isn't a "this guy is better than that guy" thing. Elvis was a great singer, regardless of who had a greater range.

To use an instrumental analogy, there are lots of people today who are faster and cleaner on their instruments than Jimi Hendrix and Jaco Pastorius were. And that in no way diminishes how great they were. There's still only one Jimi, one Jaco, and one Elvis.

6. elvis was himself and had his own tone that people identified him as, which is good, tom jones, freddie mercury, john farnham just to name a few others who are better technicians. but, he sold alot of albums ect,ect and has influenced alot of artists. If you like to listen to him, listen and enjoy. I personally don't like him much, but its only 1 persons opinion. I respect him for all he has acheived though! his movies where cool!

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Vince Gill.....Timoty B. Schmidt....Roy Orbison...Just about every black soul singer that ever lived, Curtis mayfield...Al green...Bobby Womack...and whoever it was that sang the decending vocal line in "Fame" by David Bowie....The guitar playe I work with can cover everything from Elvis' low end to the top end of the Eagles and Michael Jacksons squeeks....

The real question is, "Who is cooler than Elvis?"

Nobody.

8. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    ty for your answers............as you all now already im a Mccartney fan so i know how he sings.....

Started a cpl of years ago to buy Elvis Albums. Today i have a lot of him. 3 boxes with 5cds in each and a movie box and a gospel box.

i regard him to have the totalepackage,very good singer and maybe an even better show man. But i think he lacked some "inteligence" and by that i mean that he should have said no to "some" things..........and maybe he still should be in our world.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Awesome quote, Awesome Movie, Awesomely GORGEOUS actress... Awesome scene w/ the pigtails, tootie pop, & high heels....

Ahhhhhhhhh....

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Fun quote, but Elvis didn't volunteer. He was specifically drafted.

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

If I am thinking the same part of Fame as you are, I am pretty sure that was a keyboard or some sort of processing.

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That's Eno running Bowie's voice through a synth filter bank. But Bowie's real range comes pretty close to that.