what do you feel when you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Oceans, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Oceans

Jan 19, 2001
    I started this thread in a Double Bass Forum...but i also wanna know what do you guys think...

Ok this is the thing:

When i play i get this feeling of freedom and peace ...that´s different from the feeling i get from listen to somebody else music, that´s more like joy and in some cases admiration, what do you think about that?
  2. EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    Usually I feel the strings...

But emotion-wise, I suppose I feel creative and as if I'm doing something others can't and therefore I'm superior and should run this world. If I was 12 inches, and everyone else in this world was exactly like me except 11 inches, I'd be the ruler of the world.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It depends on how well I know the tune.

If I'm reading a chart I never saw in my life, I feel a bit worried about the next chord I'm going to play.

If I'm playing a tune I memorized, I might be on auto pilot if It's just repertoire, but really chipper if it's a tune I like.

If it's an original tune written by someone I know, I'm excited for having the opportunity to improve on someone else's composition.

If it's a tune I wrote, I wonder what I could do to make it a better tune overall.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    cool question!

Every emotion I ever felt, all at once!

Playing is the most amazing feeling in the world! I feel humbled (that I have been given this gift), cocky (well, if it's going well), overwhelmed, in control....It's like sex, only better!

cool question, and tough to answer exactly....
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Could be either of these:

1) I feel troubled, because I either hate the song, I/we play it awfully or my hands/fingers/back hurts.
    Happens occasionally, always when rehearsing.

2) I feel like I am in the mood of the song, because it's a song I like and the band plays good.

3) Typical pre-recording/pre-gigging situation: I just feel bored and would rather do/play something else. Like, "OK, we nailed it for the 100th time in a row and now I'm *really* sick of this song".

4) The typical recording situation: "Don't screw up! Don't screw up! Don't screw up... AAWWW, F**K!!!"
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I feel like....

"Why am I even trying to play this thing??!!"

Then I get into a groove, or start writing a new song, and I totally lose myself into my playing. Afterwards...I feel like..."DAMN! I love music!!"...:D
  7. I feel like the cool subplot in a novel that only the really attentive readers catch on to.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hit the nail on the head there Davey. I sorta feel that way too. That if someone actually payed atention, they'd catch something the other's aren't. That and I feel most of the time like I'm on the verge of something I can't quite see. Like I'm right at the end of a mystery, and still have no clue what the mystery is. Usually when I'm noodling around practicing at home. When in song with my band I usually feel kinda like I'm cheating people (because I am now forced to sing, my bass playing suffers due to lack of ability to do both at once).

Overall I'd say I feel like some sort of student to some little known but very powerfull mystic.
  9. i feel all warm and bubbly and lovey dovey, wait a minute, no i dont yeeeeesh.

I just like it feel more peacful and happy.
  10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I love playing and just being around music, it makes em feel good when playing what I want to (ignoring the subject of playing boring music in some bands).

Sometimes when playing my own riffs or modified riffs something just happens, not very often, but this overwhelming power, it's incredible, unmistakable (sp?), it's just awesome. Just playing and all this power just erupts, like all the power in the universe has just entered my body. Ah, I gotta go play now.

11. depends what im playing

when im playing a song totally heavy and everything i feel like i could smash everything in sight and feel ok

when im playing somethin softer i feel like i live in my own world, nothing can get in my way, nothing can stop me, totally calm and at peace.
  12. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    When I play bass I feel goooooooooooooood... :cool:
  13. Well, sometimes if I'm sad I'll play something sad.
    If I'm happy, I'll play something happy.
    If I'm bored, I'll play anything.
    If I feel the want to, and I start composing something, then I feel frustrated when things just don't sound right. Then when I get a nice groove down, I feel satisfied. After about a month of screwing around with it and some little fills & stuff, I'll improve on the line (or at least improve in MY opinion. :p) and feel VERY happy with what I just did. :D
  14. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    Cathartic & Empathic.

It feels like I actually have a purpose when I'm playing the bass.
  15. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Sometimes (rarely), when the mood is good, we're playing "right", I'm comfortable ... I feel like a bass player.
    Most of the time, I feel like a guy playing bass and trying to be good at it but not achieving his goals.
  16. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    As others have said it depends on the situation.

I either feel 'businesslike' if I am doing stuff for others or if composing or improvising its like 'I've got the <b>one</b> and I'm keeping it'.
  17. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I feel the music...sorry but I can't express it better,I think you know what I mean!
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i'm playing i feel the strings.

and the neck.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's how I feel when things are going well.

When I am having one of those rare off nights, it can seem like a real chore though.
  20. if there is a long rest in the bass part i will feel my left nad.