what do you get out of a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 9, 2003.

1. i can not figure out what bass will give you that raw clanky sound. all my favorite hardcore bands use fender jazz basses, and they have that raw clanky sound, but i hear clips online of jazz basses, and they sound thick and deep like in funk songs. i listen to more underground hardcore, but im assuming that there is a good chance people on here have heard AFI. afi's bassist, Hunter, uses a american jazz bass and he has that sound, NOT the thick sound. A good example of the tone i want is about a minute into the song "A single second" by AFI
  2. ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Hunter gets his tone by playing pretty forcefully on his jazz bass with a pick. I think he uses both pickups full on (sounds that way to me), and he plays through an Ampeg SVT. This is probably the way most of those "########" players get their sound, picks and SVTs. Really, a jazz bass is extremely versatile. They work well for jazz, funk, rock, or pretty much whatever. You can get an appropriate tone for almost all music out of them. Oh, and please do mention the other bands you are talking about. There's a good chance that someone on Talkbass knows who they are.
  3. Clank usually easn a pick. So pick on up, they aren't always evil. (I hate'em)
  4. Believe me, you can nail that tone very nicely with both pickups fully on and the tone slightly trebleish. Jazz basses are very versatile, so you can't go wrong.
  5. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    and he probably has the treble cranked.
  6. Will the Geddy Lee do this for me? That bass is the bass i really wanna buy, but never really heard. I gotta try it. Will a b2r head do this for me, the svt is too expensive, and i already own the b2r

bands im talking about:
    sick of it all
    carry on
    give up the ghost
    holding on
    project x

stuff like that

the closest i can get on my bass is this weird kind of cutting, and annoying sound but boosting the mids.
  7. The Geddy is basically a Jazz Bass with a thinner neck and a Badass bridge. I assume it would work just as well. Actually, it might be preferable because of the fast neck. I think you'd like it. Try it out.
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Geddy Lee Jazz is a great bass... I like what BadAss bridges do for the tone and playability of a Fender bass...

Try playing with a pick more toward the bridge and perhaps roll the UltraMid up a bit. Boosting your tone at about 200 Hz will really help you cut through.

You might want to add something like a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver/DI between your bass and amp. You can get some overdrive to help with some rawness...it will cost you a couple more paychecks from the sweatshop though...