Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you glue with?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kirbywrx, Apr 28, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    When you get 2 pieces of wood that you want to glue together to make the body (ie, when it is bookmatched) how do you attach them together, and what glue do you use?

Im getting 3 pieces of silky oak tomorrow, and i want to know if there is any certain way that i should glue them together.
    cheers
    -kirbo

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My bad :D

3. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    I've found Selleys urea formaldehyde to work well. This is alot more stable than acetate glues , it's great fine for joinery, having a high viscosity similar to PVA , making glue joins less noticable. It is also easy to clean and doesn't really stain.
    Only bummer is that it's a pain to mix instead of something straight out of a tube.
    I wouldn't recommend epoxies as they require a build up of glue for optimum strength so no matter how well you fit and clamp joints , you'll usually see a visible line of glue.
    Epoxies are also hard to clean up and glued areas can require a bit of sanding.
    Use lots of clamps and get the joins so that when they're dry fitted , they're perfect. ie can't see the join.

Cheers