1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you guys clean your neck with when it gets sticky?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bigbutes89, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    My Fender P- bass neck always gets sticky, what do you guys use to clean it if your bass neck gets sticky??

Why does it get sticky?

2. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    ??

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use naptha (very fast drying) or mineral spirits (paint thinner) if it's really gunky. Usually just water on a damp cloth so long as the finish is not worn through. I don't like getting the waxy products sold for cleaning instruments on the back of the neck. I don't like to use mineral oil as it leaves a residue.

Naptha and mineral spirits will not harm a finish. Alcohol works too but don't use it on a nitro finish or get it on a nitro pickguard.. It will dissolve it. It's safe on pretty well everything else. It really gets the neck squeaky clean. Works well for cleaning strings too.

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Keep a nice cotton cloth with you (cut up an old t-shirt) and wipe down your neck often-between songs, after a set, whatever works for you. I do that, mine never gets sticky.

5. +1 -

Be careful of naptha (its bassically lighter fluid)
    Plain liquid soap (not to much on a very damp cotton cloth shoud take it off)

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I use the same guitar polish and cloth that I use on the body of the bass.

because you don't wash your hands before you play.

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Not the only you thing you practice with your door closed?

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    spit

9. Leave it on to leep the funk in, just an option.

I've used just a damp cloth. ALthough when i got a P-bass from a friend it had so much gunk on it that i scraped some off with a knife then realized i liked the gunk on it so it stayed.