1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do YOU guys do when your roommate is late on rent EVERY MONTH?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My current roommate is not paying rent on time, often underpays, having to pay me mid-month. Imagine the late payment scenario -- he has done it.

So, short of kicking him out (only a few months left on the lease, don't want the added expense or headache of finding a new roomie) what should I do? Late fees don't seem to phase him. :rollno:

What would you guys do to remedy this?

2. Does he have anything nice, portable and expensive?

PS3, Xbox360, Laptop, Ipod?

I'd steal them and pawn them off :p

Either that, or brick in his cereal.

3. Threaten to kick him out, and if he's late again, kick him out.

4. Hahaha, thats awesome, way better than my post.

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Kick him the hell out.

I'm engaged to my roommate so it's a little different,
    we just worked it out that i pay rent she pays the utilities and cable and phones so it works out.

Roommates suck though if i ever had to live on my own again, i'd live in a shack them with another roommate they suck.

6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Knock him out and sell one of his kidneys on the black market.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    Find out if you can split the rent bills to two different persons - that way the problem is the landlord's, not yours.

8. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Simple... you find a new room mate.

9. +1

You shouldnt be picking up the pieces, plus you wouldnt be getting bother if his half of the rent wasnt paid.

Plus it probably wouldnt get you in trouble with John Law like my idea might.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks.
    Great idea I didn't think of but should have :)

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Murder?

12. Are you planning on moving or trying to renew the lease?

If I was leaving anyway I would tough it out and get what I can out of the deadbeat.
    If I was staying I would be looking for a new roommate.

13. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    There are apartment complexes in Raleigh that are designed for having room mates. Each person is only responsible for their part of the rent and each sign their own contract. If one person is late, the late person has to deal with the manager. The person who is on time doesn't have to worry.

14. If you let it happen the first time, your SOL :meh:

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Stop complaining, you are lucky to even HAVE a roommate. :D

16. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    most of the time, private landlords dont want anything to do with your rooomate troubles, more than likely he'll say he wants one check, and doesn't care how he gets it as long as its on time...

17. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I had similar roommate problem and really the only solution was to get rid of her. You can't force people to pay without a lot of legal headache. In the end I just did my best to get her out the door as fast as possible with minimum damage. I was nice to her until her lazy butt was gone.

She left me with a big mess, I had to pay extra to throw away her garbage and change the locks. And she didn't pay me the last month's utilities ($160) but you know, I considered it an expensive lesson learned and I let it go. Believe it or not, I've been so much better since she is gone! And I've actually made more financially that's more than made up for the $160 that she owes me just because I no longer had the added stress of her around.

See what you can do to help your roommate at least get the rent paid. Take the stance of what can you do to help him--without giving him money. Then when your lease is up, GET RID OF HIM. The more you act angry, the more this guy won't pay you. I know he's not doing what he agreed to, but the point is you need the rent paid. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar!

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I have had seven roommates (I own my own house) and only had one who was close to a timely payer, and a quality roommate with responsible cleaning and maintenance habits. My experience is this, if your an adult, in your mid-twenties or older, and you can't afford an apartment on your own, there's probably a reason for it.* My experience has been they either can't hold a job or are very irresponsible with their money with partying, drugs, or being a musician,:D etc. Otherwise they would have their own place.

* Their are a couple of exceptions to this rule, a person who is going thru a divorce, and an intern in the medical profession. They have a reason not to have their own place at 25.

19. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Butter the floor.

**** his sister.

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Find a new apartment with a new room mate and leave him on his ass trying to scramble to fine a new room mate or pay the rent in full each month by himself.