1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What DO you guys do with the original CASES???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 11, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Another thread got me to thinking. I have quite a few used basses. I have owned and sold a lot of basses. I never kept a case when the bass was sold. I never wore out a hard case. But MOST of the used basses I have bought came WITHOUT the original case. A LOT of basses I see listed in the TB classifieds do NOT come with the original case that I know they shipped with. What are you guys doing with cases? Why would you NOT send the OHSC with a signature or other high end bass?

For those of you who have bought basses, and then sold them at some point (other than decades later) what did you do with the case? Why don't you keep it with the bass?

Just curious. It's really not that big of a deal. I'm just pondering the issue.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm going to guess that shipping an OHSC greatly adds to the freight bill.

Maybe there's an OHSC graveyard next to the Elephant graveyard.

3. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Judging by what I see on Craigslist, most of them probably sold the cases long ago. Doesn't keep them from thinking their ten year old Fender is worth almost as much as a new one would cost.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, it was THESE guys who got 'em! Dang you SCAR!
    Be_Prepared_Hyenas.

Mystery solved. Carry on.

5. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    I've always wondered the exact same thing. i buy basses used from GC once in awhile, peavey usa millenniums or cirrus, and those came with cases. Not ONE, out of maybe 8 had the original case! I asked every time, don't you have the case for these? and twice they were cool enough to find a case I could have, but they aren't original. One was actually a new condition Fender case, beautiful, $149 new...so that was alright. But at GC, people trade them in by bringing them to the store. All i can think of is maybe they figure they can sell the case separately and make a few bucks extra?

Dunno, but it bugs me. And I won't ship a bass without a case - I don't care what the shipping is, I don't trust shipping one without a nice, hardshell case if at all possible.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I think a lot of it comes from music stores who deal a lot in used instruments. They make more if they sell the two separately. I think a lot of people will buy a used piece and a $30 gig bag before they will buy that same used piece and a $75~$100 case.

Reason I say this is I had a friend who owned a music store and he always had a crap ton of empty HS cases of all types and styles in a back room of his store. He sold a lot of guitars and basses and if it was something middle of the road that would work in a generic case, no case or bag was included in the price unless you negotiated that during the haggle. He would also use a case to sweeten the deal on high end stuff like a real nice flame topped Les Paul or an old collectable Fender.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Good question.

I confess: I did hoard two old Fender cases when I sold the basses because I had other Fenders bought with (lousy) bags. So I swapped out the bags and kept the cases.

Other than that, I always sell with the case...unless it's a Fender the case won't fit anything else properly anyway.

One possible explanation of the missing cases: it did it's job over the years and was destroyed valiantly protecting the bass inside.

One old Fender I bought with a case held together with duct tape and bungee cords. Every hinge and latch was broken and chunks of wood were missing, literally useless for anything but long term storage. That one left along with the bass when I sold it. Some sellers might have put it in the dumpster and swapped in a $20 GC bag. Wonder if there is a market yet for refinished vintage cases :help:

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I bought a used MIM Fender J that came with a not so great hard case. One day I see an ad on CL for a Fender case just like the cases that came with my new Am Dlx basses. So, I went to buy it, and the guy said he had a number of other cases, (and a lot of FX pedals) for sale. I figured a young guy living in an apartment, with a bunch of empty guitar cases, probably works at GC. I did not ask, but before I left, he said exactly that. I suppose that when the bass is hanging on the wall in the GC store, a case might get "lost" once in a while. Not sure how many pedals fit in a bass case, but that guy probably knows.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Not that I've seen in my store, but I have quite a few customers asking me if we repair cases, too. I refer them to a local upholsterer or the cabinet hardware company that used to run ads on TB.

We have a large retirement community here, and I see a lot of vintage instruments for a smaller shop. Lots of those guys bought their vintage instrument when it was just that year's model, and darn few have the original case. They just disintegrated after decades of use. I saw an ad in Premier Guitar for SKB's new line of cases, and the celebrity blurb at the bottom said something about how hauling his Les Paul around in the OHSC was like driving a 57 Chevy around on its original tires.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I Stack em in the studio storage room and use gig bags. But when I sell an instrument it always goes with the original case, whatever style that may be.

11. I'm getting ready to buy the third case for my Fender Jazz bass. Ran over the first one in my truck (bass was fine). Current one got jumped up and down on by a 1 1/2 year old (my fault for not putting it up) and totally cracked.

12. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Lustersilk.

What type of case was your bass in when you ran over it with your truck? Did the tire go over any part of the case where it would have rolled over the bass, or just a corner of the case? The new Fender cases with the large plastic latches are pretty sturdy, but I am not sure they would protect a bass from damage by being directly run over by a vehicle.

13. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    anyone who owns a ken smith know that the cases weigh MORE than your cab. it sits in the studio & I use my hybrid hard/soft gig bag to save strength for the gig!

14. I always sell the case with the bass.

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Unless my basses are going in a truck or van with other gear, I transport my basses in a Mono gig bag. Any bases I've sold though, the original case goes with.

16. Same here..I store my HSC in a closet and take my bass with me in a gig bag..whenever I sell a bass the original HSC is usually in like new condition.

17. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

When I bought my Alembic Spoiler from GC in 85, they didn't have an Alembic HS case to go with it. The first case the guy pulled out was way too long for the instrument and he thought I'd go for it. The second case fit fine, but was not an Alembic case either. I still use it. At some point, I should pick up another HS case that doesn't weigh more than my car.

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    My logic - Hard cases are for shipping and long term storage. Gig bags are for transport and dust covers. Guitar stands or wall hangers are for daily users.
    I always, always, always sell my gear to players with the original case or bag or box included. However, when dealing with gear stores like GC where you are only going to get 50-60% of the market value I make the decision to keep or sell the hard case with the bass based on how bad I need one for my remaining gear.

19. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I ordered both my NYC Sadowsky's with the Portabag, knowing they would get used (as opposed to a HSC, which would sit in the closet).

My Dingwall AB-II came with a gigbag (embroidered with Dingwall so I know it is the right one) but it is very basic, nothing like the Portabag.

My Rob Allen MB-2 came with a generic gigbag. Not sure if it should have had a specific case or not.

Basically, now that I have 2 portabags, I never use anything else, regardless of the bass I am transporting. The Dingwall and other gig bag sit in the closet.

I also ordered my Suhr guitar with a gig bag (very similar to the Portabag, awesome case). Now my HSC for my PRS can also sit in the closet :).

If I were to sell any of the above, the original case would be included, seems dishonest to switch anything up. I have also heard of stores selling expensive cases separately and swapping for a cheap alternative. When I buy a LP guitar, the case better be tan, say Gibson, and be filled with hot pink/magenta liner :).

Later
    Rob

20. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I stuff them in a closet or under a couch, then consider selling them, then think of reason why I might need it even though I have more cases than basses...then repeat this pattern every time I get another case.