1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you guys do with your old strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Minger, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This ones going to be a bit of a stupid question...I guess I've taken a habit of liking used strings, so this is why I'm asking I guess.

Me, personally, I just like the non-new sound - out of the 3 sets I've used in teh past year+, they've just been switched on and off my basses.

I guess I'm waiting to hear what a dead string is like or waiting for one to snap...

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    A student at the HS where I teach came up to me last week and asked me for my old strings... time to dig them out of the "random box!"

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, I'd ask for em...

Wanna try out different strings (especially flats, considering I play in Orchestra as well...would be interesting to have the same feel on a EB) to see hwo they'd work out...but yeah, thats just me.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I usually keep a set or two around in case I break a string. The rest I toss out. Now the most insane I've seen, I was on the road crew for a YES tour many years ago. Chris Squire insisted his strings be changed daily. We actually had an Anvil case full of RotoSound's. The old strings were given to fans so they did go to waste.

As for what does a dead string sound like. We you'll know it when you hear it. They just thud. I know very well because when I first started playing bass that was the sound. Listen to some old sixty's Motown records. Old strings were it. Play 'em, boil 'em now and then to clean them and then put them back on. In fact breaking a string was a disaster if you didn't have another old string to put back on.

5. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    I had been piling them up, then my new neighbors kid turned out to be a bassist. He built a whamola, so I kicked him all my old/unused sets.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    GIve them to my buddy, he uses them to take out car winshields...

7. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    I replace my strings every month - 1,5 month cause I like the 'fresh' slapsound ;)

I just put my old strings in a box, to put them back on when I'm in a financial crisis haha

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I shove mine into an empty, 20 oz, Coke bottle. That way, when I throw them away, they dont stab through the bag and harpoon my eyeball. They also make pretty decent maracas.

9. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Melt them down and make a paperweight...................;)

Just kidding, although not a bad idea.

I pretty much keep a set or two around just in case otherwise they get tossed. I must try the denatured alcohol trick since that apparently breathes new life into oldish strings.

10. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    What is the denatured alcohol trick?

11. m2o03

m2o03

Feb 27, 2006
    Iowa
    I made a "crown of thorns" out of mine. It looks pretty neat.

12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've got them all sitting in a big pile on my dresser. I want to cut off the ball ends and use them to make something decorative. Same with guitar strings. I've actually used the extra ball ends to string some guitar strings on bass before.

13. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I far as I know it just wiping your strings down after a playing to clean them.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i used to give them to a guy i worked with. he made fishing lures out of them. he gave me a couple. i dont fish but........

15. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    I give them to assassin friend of mine ... he likes the feel of a groundwound g-string for garrotting his victims.

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    :confused:

17. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Any pictures of the lures? That sounds interesting.

18. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Some serious Armor scale modelers, building armor and dioramas of WWII scenes, loved the old strings. They used them to make cables, antennas, etc.. in 1/35 scale.

19. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    What if I said I partially started this thread in hopes of scoring some free strings? :p

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I may be able to dig up a set of old D'Addario Slowounds if you want them.

Pm me your address and they're yours, or you can take a short drive to Irondequoit and pick them up in person.