1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you guys/gals think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Seriously looking at getting another bass. I currently have a Squier Affinity PJ with SD QPs and really like it. But it’s the only bass I own. Want to “upgrade” and here are the two I am considering: Fender Player Series P and Lakland Skyline 44-64. From what I have read, the Fender Player Series are great basses but pale in comparison to the Lakland when it comes to build quality and craftsmanship. Also, the Lakland comes with Hipshot tuners. Tha Lakland is twice the price of the Fender but wow, what a nice bass! Thoughts? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What aren't you getting from your Squier that you want to have? Try to think of specific things it's lacking that you think another bass would give you.

3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Don't just "consider two"
    Go to a store and try out many.

TinIndian, pcake, DJ Bebop and 11 others like this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Exactly... you already have a PJ, try out a Music Man style or Jazz bass so you have different tones at your disposal

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If that's the case why not go G&L? Competitively priced...but if you ask me, there's really no competition.
    SB-2T with tone control option.
    7818-F96-E-1566-422-D-BF10-52-F4-AB13-FD70.
    LB-100
    93-C8-A4-B8-D964-42-E6-AB21-247-A1-DE3-EF9-C.
    And if you want something really different, something really versatile...the L2000.
    AE56-B090-AF48-4-F65-88-F1-69922925-E8-FA.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    DJ Bebop, MG Wolf, alack and 5 others like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Set a budget .
    Try as many basses as you can.
    Get what feels best and puts out the sounds you like to hear.

alanloomis1980, Pbassmanca and HD007 like this.
  7. Getting this through Sweetwater with 0% financing for 4 years. The Fender would be about $10/month and the Lakland around $28/month (no interest!). Sweetwater does not carry G&L, unfortunately. I would have been interested in a Reverend also but again, Sweetwater doesn’t carry that brand either. I just purchased a Rumble 500 head and 410 cab about 2 months ago from Sweetwater on the same 0% interest financing plan. Now that I think about it, I think my credit limit might not cover the Lakland. I think my limit is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,100.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I bought my L2000 through reverb using Affirm...just finished paying it off in September.
    Of course, they only offer 3, 6 or 12 month plans...but reverb has an incredible selection and with $175 down I bought a $1,500 bass that I never would've been able to buy elsewhere.
    Now, I'm good for $1,500+ with no money down.

9. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    G&L tribute or used usa Jazz is a solid choice to expand what youre already working with

Edit for clarification.... a used USA G&L jazz is what im talking about depending on your budget. Also... ibanez soundgears offer a fantastic feel and value at every pricepoint

10. The new Fender Players Series are great value for the money. Lakland basses are amazing basses. I have owned Fenders and I have owned a Lakland. Even though I consider myself a bit of a Fender snob, I would get the Lakland.

Smooth_bass88, B-Lo and MattZilla like this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    If the money is not your (always think twice) thing, then from quality - take Lakland.

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    A U.S. G&L will likely be at least much of an upgrade as Lākland, very likely moreso. Although, I dont think that that's saying much.

An amp would be a far more aparrent upgrade. What are you playing through lately?

13. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Sorry to say this, but if you have to buy it on credit, you shouldn't buy it. Just my opinion, earned the hard way.

14. Yeah, what gorn said. it doesnt make sense to buy another of the same bass, if you "really like it." If it were different however, that might be justified: fretless, 5 string, active, musicman....

Personally, i took a squier affinity and replaced everything (except the pickup, go figure) including the neck, and i love it. It was fun too.

+1 that the fender players are great tho ;)

15. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Oh my!

4dog and jd56hawk like this.
  16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Can’t go wrong with either of those two, I’ve only played a Fender Player Bass at GC and it was nice, but I own a Lakland Skyline 44-64 and can tell you it’s nicer than the Fender especially the neck, these Lakland necks are so good IMO..if you decide on a Lakland and you want the vintage tone of a Fender you will have to change the pickups if it’s a newer model, to me they are too modern sounding and don’t have that vintage tone, I put EMG Geezers in mine for that very reason..

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  17. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

If you can afford the Lākland, go for it. The neck and tone are to die for, and their costumer service is outstanding.

18. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I vote for a Gretsch hollow body.

19. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I think cryptic thread titles are lame.

FugaziBomb likes this.
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Usually, I can buy it cash. But, why? It's free money. Just take advantage of 0%.

TinIndian, dan1952 and MoeTown1986 like this.