What do you guys know about clothes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Feb 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    So I was at work a couple months ago, and it was a place where uniforms are issued to most of the employees. Some new people were getting theirs that day, so there was some discussion about clothes. The topic of washing and care came up, and I was surprised to find that none of the people there (all men, as it happens) knew much about fabrics. They didn't know, for instance, that pea coats are made of felt, which is in turn made of wool. They also didn't know what rayon and polyester were made out of.

Without Googling, can you tell me what polyester is made out of? How about rayon?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Both man-made, I seem to remember coal being a basic ingredient in polyester - no idea with rayon, although I'd guess petroleum-based.
    I also didn't know pea coats were made of felt, although I did know felt is made of wool.

JCooper likes this.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Polyester is made of bass guitar paint.

4. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    And wool is made from bass guitar neck shavings.

rapidfirerob and sissy kathy like this.
  5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I know rayon is light and has some stretch to it. Lots of stuff will only be like 20% rayon and 80% polyester. I always like those blends for nicer clothing. For me if I'm shopping for fancier than jeans and a t shirt I go to Express, especially clearance items. But otherwise I mostly buy clothes from Target. Twenty years ago I wouldn't, but they do have quality styles nowadays. That Massimo brand is no longer just kid clothing. Just my advice on buying smart.

6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I rarely bother to check what my clothes are made of...if it feels good that'll do me.
    Then again I tend to just wear cotton shirts and denim jeans - and has anyone noticed how the quality of denim has nosedived in recent years?
    I tend to buy Levi's but they sure don't last like they used to.

Will_White likes this.
  7. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    What an odd topic. All I know is I like cotton and thanks to Seinfeld I know bras are made from Lycra spandex.

OldDog52, Gaolee and MJ5150 like this.
  8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Rayon is made from some type of organic fiber if I remember right.

Polyester is made from 1970's R&B bands.

Aberdumbie and Rich Fiscus like this.
  9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I don't wear any synthetic fabrics. Wool, cotton, linen. That's it. I find the synthetics, particularly polyester, don't breathe well and they don't absorb moisture.
    Polyester is petroleum based. I think coal is involved as well.
    Rayon is made from wood. Well, it is cellulose which is wood fiber. So, Rayon is made from old Squier bodies.

Will_White, old spice and ONYX like this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If it's a uniform and if it fades or shrinks, get yourself to QM for some new kit!

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The Polyester is a mammal, living in temperate climate and eating mostly Rayons and the dreams of orphans. It is not usually dangerous, however when cornered it can throw Japanese Shuriken with deadly accuracy. They are relatively small, but in large packs they can bring down a Water Buffalo. They are not an endangered species, and can be hunted at will. Currently, no animal cruelty laws apply to the Polyester, so it is legal to torture them, however they rarely talk.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Why should a man even know these things?

I know peacoats are wool, but I think polyester is basically woven plastic.

13. I know nothing of clothes. My wardrobe consists of really nice work attire. I've got a hundred Nike hoodies, several hundred Nike dry fit tees and two pairs of jeans that are nominally presentable. I have a flannel for my beard and some faux black rimmed spectacles for when I shoe gaze.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i believe the polyester is closely related to the nauga, which were hunted almost to extinction in the early 70s due to the widespread use of naugahyde.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Shiny women's clothes are made of rayon. Shiny shirts I wear to look good on stage and smell bad are made of polyester. No more questions, please. You won't like the answers.

catcauphonic and blastoff99 like this.
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have. But, I've found that Wrangler "cowboy cut" jeans are made really well, totally different than the Wranglers in department stores. Amazon has them, and they can be bought directly from the Wrangler site.

old spice and Oddly like this.
  17. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    All I know about polyester is we use it at work as an air-porous sheet to convey product at shallow slopes like an air hockey table. Supposedly it is food grade.

As far as my clothes, they all go in the washer and dryer at the same time. If it melts or whatever, then it was too fancy for my taste anyway. Simple stuff like jeans and flannels are all I need.

18. Got to watch your "blends". You think you're buying cotton....BUT IT'S 40 PERCENT POLYESTER.

Never buy Polyester underwear. You'll be sorry.

OldDog52 likes this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yep - a pair of Levis lasts me maybe six months, a year tops. Belt loops fail, rips in the crotch. And I wear 599 Relaxed fit! I might have to look into those Wranglers.

20. ak56

ak56

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Polyester is made from woven recycled plastic grocery bags.:laugh: