Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you guys play when testing out basses and amps?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey, what do y'all play (songs) when you go to Mars or where-ever to test out new basses and equipment? Do you just test the tone of each open note? Do you just make sumthin up? or do you Play a few songs you have memorized and like a lot? Well? weLL?? huh? welL?!

2. I play the songs that i know the best. even though they are normaly really cheesey and easy to play songs, i know what their supposed to sound like. so that if somthing sounds wrong, then i know its not me. I normaly throw in a slap line or riff just to see if the amp can handle slap (i'm not like they guys who only slap when trying out an amp, i just slap to see how it sounds, and then stop). i generaly play songs that i play with a band, or like to play. meaning, i'll play some punk, some funk, and some blues, with a simdige of jazz.

my best advice, is play a song that you can play, and not even realize yoru playing, so that you can focus on your tone and not just your playing.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just play whatever comes to mind. It could be whole notes, "Spain", a groove I came up with, "Car Wash", "Turkey in the Straw"...whatever. I let the gear speak to me and then decide what to play. Unfortunately, most times it tells me to put it down:D

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just play whatever comes to mind. It could be whole notes, "Spain", a groove I came up with, "Car Wash", "Turkey in the Straw"...whatever. I let the gear speak to me and then decide what to play. Unfortunately, most times it tells me to put it down:D

I see dead notes.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I agree with muttluk....I just play some songs I know and a few scales over the entire neck to check the intonation.
    The whole for me...is just to check the tone and how the bass "feels".

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I always play "Yacketty Ax" because it covers the whole octave and I can play it anywhere on the neck.

Pkr2

7. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    It is a good idea to play songs that cover the whole neck. But your gonna have to play songs that are similar to the ones your gonna use the bass or amp for. Scales are something you should play also.

8. It seems a common trend that we all play songs that the equipment will be used for. Like why not?? it'd be like buying thongs to go jogging a marathon with :).

I tend to play the usuall songs that we have inthe band, just exerpts, then if i really want to annoy the store owner, break out into a solo! :D (that'll teach ya to keep asking if i need help, I know i need help!.....medical)

Merls

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It depends on the bass. If It's a Fender, or Fender-ish, I'll play a Jamerson bass line, usualy "I heard it through the grapevine" or "What's going on". If it's a Rickenbacker, I'll play a Beatles tune, usually "Drive my car" or something else in that vein. Usually, I play a generic Jazz progression, and to make sure people notice (actually, to hear its upper register, I play my solo bass arrangement of "What a wonderful world". I also slap it some.

Will C.:cool:

10. Don't play songs while checking out a new bass.
    I doodle the entire neck looking for action issues , dead spots etc.
    I'll chime the neck to see where that is at.
    See where the pickup height is , and so on.
    In other words I'm making sure the bass is in proper order and is capable of being set up the way I like it.

IGotGas likes this.
  11. Andy D

Andy D

Jun 18, 2011
    Bay Area
    "Dancin' in the Moonlight" by Thin Lizzy.

Gluvhand likes this.
  12. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    The melodies from All of Me and Ain't no Sunshine, a couple octaves of a few different scales, and a couple 12-bar lines in A. Only takes a couple of minutes, and nobody comes up and says "Know any Primus?", which honestly happened before.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

I play scales up and down the neck. Partly because I don't want to embarrass myself, and partly becasue bass wanking irritates me. Playing scales up and down the neck lets me hear what the bass can do, test how it sounds moving around the right hand technique and what the controls do without thinking about anything except what it sounds like. Plus, no bass wanking.

IGotGas likes this.
  14. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I just play whatever pops into my head.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Depends.

Up until recently, I was in the market for a fretted 5 that I could slap, so every fretted 5 I looked out I was testing it for string spacing / bounce on the strings, tension on the B string, etc. by slapping. If that felt good, I'd do scales up and down the neck, check for dead spots / high frets / etc. I had pretty much given up given that every 5 string out there that I could find had string spacing that was far too narrow for my tastes or weight a ton.

As for amps... well, do stuff that calls for heavy transients - slapping, popping, hard fingering - if that all sounds decent, I play more normally just to see how the amp responds to my dynamics... stuff like that. The last amp piece I bought was a Berg 1x12", and I played it for all of 1 minute -- but I had heard these in a buddy's rig many times and knew that they sounded great.

16. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Scales & intervals (octaves for sure, but others, too). Look for dead spots & make sure I can reach what I need to reach.

17. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Generally my inspection is kinda technical. I'll noodle the entire neck, check out a few tough transitions, carefully check for dead spots, check PU height, and the test the controls. I also closely inspect fit, and (if new or a collectors piece..) finish. If it's a bolt, I really examine the neck to body finish, if the neck pocket area has any cracks, and if the neck has been shimmed (and if so, why). Also I check the tuning machines closely.

After that it's ergonomics, fret edges, quality of the board, and if the jack is set right or easily scratches. If it's something that's going to tour with me, I'm really going to check for neck dive, and how well it hangs over my gut and if it digs into my right forearm bad. I also check to see if PU location fights for room when I'm using a pick.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fourteen year old zombie thread lol

pacojas likes this.
  19. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Super Mario Theme. one of those tunes that beg you to use the whole fretboard.

20. riffs from the following songs:

and sometimes:

plus anything else I can think of.