Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you guys recommend??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, May 26, 2001.

1. Eventually I am going to need a real bass amp and I was wondering what I should buy. I'm not really looking for any specific answers right now I was just wondering is it safe to buy a used amp for cheap and have no warranty? I've seen 600 watt used carvin amps for $400 on eBay but I can't help being a little skeptical. I guess I'm asking would it be better to buy, say, a used 400 watt carvin for $300 or a new Ampeg amp with less watts and more money, but with a warranty and probably more reliability?

ramble ramble ramble, I hope that makes sense.

2. They both have their pros and cons man. It all depends on what you're looking for. Diff amps have diff tones. Go try them out. If you like the Ampeg more then get it. If you're strapped on cash, get it used.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If the eBay seller had a substantial and impeccable selling history, (you can check these at their site), and they said the amp was in perfect working order, I'd get the most watts I could for the money.

Another important factor to consider on auctions is the reason the person is selling the amp. Sure, they can e-mail a bogus reason to you, such as, "I'm giving up music," but that's where you have to rely on your judgement of the person's truthfulness and sincerity.

If you plan on the amp getting lots of abuse, e.g., mic/guitar plugged into it simultaneously with bass, lots of load-ins, etc., I'd go for the factory new amp.