Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you guys think about Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Dec 25, 2000.

1. what do you all think about Squier P-Bass?

2. I have a Squier P Special 4 string, and it plays better than the Fenders at the shop (IMO)! I'm not sure if you meant just a regular P or a Special (PJ) but they both might have the same action and smoothness mine has. The J p/u on mine hums when it is on full blast because of not having another to balance it (I think). If you play it a lot you'll get used to it anyway I think, but you should get one that appeals to you right away.

A thing about Squiers is quality control. You never know when you will get a 'bad' one. At the shop, I saw an Affinity P bass. Affinitys are a subdivision of Squier. And anyway, its action was terrible, I could'nt even play it. Oh yea, there might be some buzz if you like a low setup. I have my strings raised off the fretboard by maybe 5-10 mm, not quite a centimeter.

Anyway, they don't cost much, and if you like the one you are going to get, grab it.

-Andrew

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a Squier P Special. It's not a 3000 dollar Warwick, but it's a good, work horse I'll tell you. The only real problem I ever had with it, was a foil went bad. It has a beautiful Galactic Purple finish. I would highly recommend one to anyone.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm a Fender fan, so it pains me to say this. The Squiers are nice, but check out the Yamahas, too. You should be able to get an RBX260 for about $199, and it's a solid-feeling, good-sounding instrument. It has P pickups, so the sound will be similar. I think the Yam also has an alder body, which is pretty cool in that price range.

If you find a good Squier, you'll probably be happy with it. I've played some that are pretty nice. The ones I looked at were nicer than the Washburn XB-100 I looked at, which was pretty crude. Ibanez also makes a bass in that price range, I think it's the GSR-200. Shop around. Play them all. And if you're really sold on the Squier, play a bunch of them and pick the best.

5. I have a squier affinity p-bass, and boy does it suck! thas the worst bass ive ever played in my life! it buzzes and rattles like crazy! no feel, no tone, no playability.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The J p/u on mine hums when it is on full blast because of not having
    another to balance it (I think).

Try throwin' on a SD (Seymour Duncan) "Hot Stack" or "Classic Stack" (J pup humbucker).

Originally posted by LiquidMidnight
    I have a Squier P Special. It's not a 3000 dollar Warwick, but it's a good, work horse I'll tell you.

Excellent point :D I ain't no Brad Johnson, but 4 of my 5 basses I got for under a grand.

Originally posted by LiquidMidnight
    The only real problem I ever had with it, was a foil went bad.

Pardon my ignorance, but what `n tarnation's a "foil" ?...pickup? :confused:

7. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    That's my first bass ,and it was wonderfull until one day I started to learn how to slap .....
    anyway, mine was bought in '92 used, made in japan (it's written on the headstock). And it's really really kick ass. I used it as my main bass, and it's never letme dowwn on the stage....
    But the teriblle parts is the pickup, it's humm like crazy so I replaced it with bassline P bass pickup, and it's got more better sound and punch, and the humm was also reduced.
    Other parts were just great...(maybe becoz it's a japan made)
    Well, if you want to buy that bass, my opinion is look for a used one...maybe u'll get a made in japan ...other than that...u better buy a MIM jazzbass or p-bass

8. I played a number of squier P basses and hated them all. They felt like toys in my hands. The tone in the squier was, well, empty. It didnt seem to have the bass low-end that it should. My advice: invest a little more $ and get a standard Fender P (retail about $299), or if thats not your cup of tea, try out the ibanez GSR and SR series. I like the SR series, although it is a bit more expensive. The GSRs are in the same price range as the squires, but in my opinion, have a bit better tone. :)

9. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    What ThePaste said. Fender Squire Ps are an excellent value for the money but play at least 10 of them before buying as QC gets a little funky. If you want a better value splurge for the MIM. The MIA is the best made hands down but down a notch on the value scale given the high price. I've played 'em all.

Mark

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I played a Squier Affinity Precision in the store a few months ago and was thoroughly impressed. Not bad at all for a US$150 bass. It would be on my list of "To get" basses if I didn't have a Tokai Jazz.

Will C.:cool:

11. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I A/B'd the Affinity Squire P-bass and the Fender Standard, and quite frankly thought the Squire beat it hands down. It just sounded better. Workmanship, while it may have been a bit better on the Fender, wasn't significant enough to matter to me. For $150 it's a great deal. I agree w/Max Power re: the Yamaha RBX260; nice axe. jrthebassguy, sounds like the bass just needed a setup. Unless the neck's warped, which usually doesn't occur on new basses, poor action can be remedied fairly easily. Granted, a good store should have already taken care of that, but I've even asked the store for an allen wrench and lowered the saddles myself.

12. Man!!! Squiers are a really good choice for beginners...and when you get to the pros...all you gotta do is change the pickups...i'm gonna get some Dimarzio DP 127 P-Bass Pickups...i hear they are really good pickups....anyone got any other good suggestions on other good P-Bass Pickups???

13. Phee

Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    Maryland
    i have a squier p-bass, and even though i don't have that much experience playing, i have to agree with everyone, they're a great investment for beginners. the only complaint i have of mine is that the neck is starting to get nasty (but that's probably from my not taking care of it). but all in all, you really can't beat the price

14. I got the P-Bass (Affinity) pack from Musician's Friend.com for Christmas, just last week.

It sucks.

There's <b>major</b> fretbuzz on the E string, and some other problems on the other strings. The E string seems to be set a millimeter or two lower than the other strings, and I can't tell why.

Other than that, there aren't any major problems. It's nice enough to start on, I guess, but I'm gonna buy a new bass (probably a Rogue from musician's friend) and sell the Squier.

The amp isn't that great either.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like it just needs a good setup....:)

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a old 82 Squier Pbass and it was the best sounding and playing Pbass that I ever played, Jusk ask my drummer it's now his first bass and he loves it. I would put that thing up against any american Pbass out there. JMHO :)

17. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

My drummer has one that he bought last year. I played it at practice this week (I leave my amp at his house, cart my bass to and from) due to laziness. It's not bad at all. The feel is reasonably good (I've restrung it and set it up for him) and the sound is OK. I notice the difference in my hands between it and my G&Ls (and my American Fender previously) but it's not "unplayable" or "cheap feeling", just not as nice. Sound-wise it's unsatisfying to me but serviceable when I'm too lazy to bring my axe. However that's not very often as I love the feel and sound of my own bass.

Also it is the second one he had. He had to return the first one after I was unable to turn the truss rod adjuster to reduce the bow in the neck. So check out a few and make sure everything is operational. For the price I think they are pretty good (as are most of the cheaper basses I've tried recently - Samick stingray clone, Squiers, low-end Ibanezes, etc.).

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Paul, a couple of words of advice here.

Like Deynn said, a setup may cure all of the problems with the new bass.

If you sell it, do not buy a Rogue. That would be a step backwards, or at the best, sideways. Rogues may be prettier than Squiers, but they do not play or sound as good IME.

And keep in mind, if you sell your Squier, you will get less than you paid for it. Perhaps as little as half of what you paid for it.

If the neck is warped, get a refund. If the neck looks like it is OK, pay a good setup man $30 - $40 and you will like the bass much better after a professional setup.

Good luck! :)