Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you guys think about the Warwick Streamer Stage I ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BBRetro, Sep 19, 2004.

1. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    i'm thinking of getting it this weekend....any experiene on this bass? comment?

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    see one.....GET IT......... i played one in town and it is absolutely amazing.... i was goin to buy it but i have a custom vette comin.. but it would have been my second choice.#

GET IT!!!!!!

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nice bass, FAR too much money. No way I would pay any more than 1200 for it. Hopefully you're not buying it new, and please try as many other basses in the price range before you commit.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've tried briefly both the SSI and the SSII, and personally, I preferred the SSII. I liked its tone better, and it just felt better to me. But, that was on a very limited time on each, so don't take what I say to heart too terrible much........ :(

5. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    thanks for the post above
    i'm getting it new for the price of 1800USD....is that a reasonable price
    the thing why i'm thinking of getting it is the neck....it's by far the easiest 5 string to slap for me...
    so is it a good one or not?

6. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    That seems a little pricey even though it is new. You can pick up mint condition used ones for $1200 and really good condition Stage 2's for around $1700.

Unfortunately new Warwicks come at a premium and it's probably not a bad idea to let someone else take the depreciation hit on a new bass and then pick it up at a far more "reasonable" price. :D

They are a sensational piece of workmanship though and in my opinion well worth the effort of hunting one down. Good luck and don't forget to post what you end up with.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    One of the best basses ever made. Not THE best, but one of 'em! :bassist:

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Take a vintage one premass...a lot better than the versions produced now. I want a jazz, but otherwise I wouldn´t want to get rid of mine at all. The new ones are way overpriced I think..

9. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    is it true that the older version of this bass is better?
    so how's the one in the market now?(the one i'm thinking of buying)
    is it now a rip off?
    is it that bad?

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm not too sure, but I believe Warwick used to hand-build or at least hand finish their basses back in the 80s and early 90s, also, I believe they were using (better?) electronics such as bartolini and EMG. They switched to mass production some time in the mid 90s I think

Don't take this as gospel tho, somebody confirm or deny this post.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Until 1993 they were handbuilt, I've got a Streamer Bass from 1991 with Bartolini humbuckers and they really nail the ones produced in the 'MEC pickup-era'. The B is one big fat bastard and the tight response of the sound unsurpassed.

(Not meant to be spamming, but this is a great bass, sent a PM. Nevertheless I'm putting mine on eBay soon, so perhaps you could be the one who wins bidding.)

12. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Awesome bass but prefer the Sage II due to classic J Bass pickup configuration. Regardless-make sure you can play the crap out of it before you buy-

13. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Indeed, the Stage II resembles a bit more like the older ones. They don't have that P-thing in the middle. Two fatties on bridge and neck side it's what I prefer too.

14. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    Awesome bass but prefer the Sage II due to classic J Bass pickup configuration. Regardless-make sure you can play the crap out of it before you buy-

i'm pretty sure i can play the crap out of it...i've been playing bass for quite sometime now(10and somewhat years)...

so...the reason why i like this bass is the wide neck...is it enough reason to buy it?

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    If you like the sound and you like the neck....it's your bass! In fact, we can only mention that the quality is not really 'to write home to.' (dutch saying) After playing last evening with my WW again, I definitely know some people are going to like this one very much.

16. I had exactly this conversation yesterday with two other bassists at the gallery in London - I had my '91 NT Thumb with me to try out some amps and ended up getting a ton of compliments on the tone of the bass. We all agreed that basses - or guitars in general - get better with age, providing they are a quality instrument, or at the very least well made. I have to agree with this as my Warwick sounds wonderful at present, and according to this guy I met yesterday, he like me has played plenty of newer Warwicks and they simply don't measure up - the reasons why the late 80s and early 90s models were better made remain something of a mystery to me, but I have heard plenty of rumours/talk that they simply took more time and care over their basses early on. Having met tyhe MD of Warwick UK recently he did assure me everything is still hand-finished and hand-made, and they do still make lovely looking guitars - I personally feel they lack a certain amount of character that my bass certainly has in bucket loads!

In short - if you see a vintage Warwick in good condition, especially a Streamer or Thumb - buy it quick!

<a href=http://www.munkio.com/music/music_warwick_gallery2.html>My bass</a>

17. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    i'm pretty sure i can play the crap out of it...i've been playing bass for quite sometime now(10and somewhat years)...

so...the reason why i like this bass is the wide neck...is it enough reason to buy it?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't questioning your ability to play-just suggesting that you have the chance to play it thoroughy before buying-sorry if it came off the wrong way.

18. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    and i did missunderstood..... :smug:
    anyway....i'm going to get her tomorrow...i'll show you guys the pic later on...thanks for all of your help... :D