What do you guys think about these comedians?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Katre, May 26, 2003.

1. Katre

Dec 28, 2002
    As it often is with comedians and comedic actors, you either like them or you can't stand them, how does everyone feel about the following?

Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    John Cleese
    Bill Murray
    Steve Martin
    Robin Williams
    Bill Hicks
    Jim Carrey
    Eddie Izzard
    Mike Myers
    Chris Rock
  2. John Cleese, Bill Hicks, Eddie Izzard, Robin Williams and Mike Myers are brilliant. I haven't heard alot of the ones you mentioned but I think Chris Rock isn't very good, he only does the stereotype black hood act, and I've never understood how anyone can find Steve Martin funny. The guy is horribly boring and uninteresting, IMO.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Richard Pryor - I never found him particularly funny, but I respect what he did for comedy.

George Carlin - One of my favorites. Between his rantings about day to day small things, the inane, the insane, and his general misanthropy, he manages to still be relevant in this day and age as he was when he became the Carlin we know today in the 70s. Brain Droppings and Napalm & Silly Putty are must reads.

John Cleese - Between Fish Called Wanda, Faulty Towers, and Monty Python, this guy is a class act. I particularly enjoy his ability to be a straight man or the center of the absurdity.

Bill Murray - Great comic actor. I really dig how much this man can do with just one eyebrow. I mean he can give you that look in 36 different combinations, all nuanced and hilarious.

Steve Martin - Bowfinger, the Jerk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels... do I need to go on?

Robin Williams - Love his manic insanity. I tend to talk rather rast and bounce around like he does, which makes listening to him actually very much like listening to myself, in that for once, I don't feel like one of us is lagging behind in the speed department.

Bill Hicks - The Bitter. Pulled no punches, and was the best preacher in the land.

Jim Carrey - Physical only. Don't try to act, Mr. Carrey. Be stupid and goofy. You're better like that.

Eddie Izzard - Don't get me started quoting the Lizard. I might not stop. Love his off beat quirky sense of humor and his point of view on just about everything. Top notch.

Mike Myers - Ugh. So I Married an Axe Murderer was IT. Oh, and Wayne's World. Wayne's World was gold.

Chris Rock - Eh. Funny. Ish. I like him, have a bunch of his live stuff, but there's just something about him that doesn't quite click.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh, did I mention I'm a really big fan of standup comedy?

My faves (in no particular order):
    Eddie Izzard
    Carlos Mencia
    Robin Williams
    Bill Hicks
    Denis Leary
    George Carlin
    Mitch Hedburg
    Stephen Lynch
    Bill Cosby (master of the clean jokes)
    Dennis Miller
    Lewis Black (his standup is actually really funny)
    Lenny Bruce
    Kids in the Hall (as a troupe)
    Monty Python (as a troupe)
    Marx Brothers (puns ahoy!)

It goes on like that... I'm addicted to standup. Enough so that I'm writing material as we speak to start doing it myself.
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    He came in the restraunt I work in yesterday. His sister graduated from the High School in my town.

As far as comics I see them in 2 catagories, ones that are funny and ones that are gross.

Jerry Seignfeld = funny

JAcky Martling = Gross, but still funny

The worst stand up I have ever seen was Henry Rollins, that is aweful.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As in not funny? Or you just didn't like him? Because he doesn't technically DO stand up. He does spoken word, which includes funny stuff, but it's not strictly comedy. Which is why a lot of people don't like him...
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey Brendan, I love Carlos Mencia, he's amazingly funny. Have you seen his "Comedy Central Presents"? It was non-stop laughter.

He's right, PC is taken too far, and its great for a laugh.

"The bombs so big, they make even our penises smaller!"
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina

That special he had on Comedy Central, whatever that was, I guess it wasn't supposed to be funny. But yes I mean horrible as in not funny.
  9. Richard Pryor- I like him a lot, some of his humor is a little topical and isn't as funny now. But he did a lot for comedy.

George Carlin-Words can't describe, though not a personal favorite, I always enjoy a good Carlin routine...its hard to beat his commentary.

John Cleese- Genius, literally. His best characters are the sadistic ones. (Convalescing Patients Olympics)

Bill Murray- Crazy guy, when he's given the oppurtunity he's excellent.

Steve Martin- He was funny on SNL...now I'm not so turned on.
    Robin Williams- His stand-up is great, some of the best. His acting can be hit and miss.

Bill Hicks- I like him! He's great.

Jim Carrey- He'll always be Ace Ventura in my mind..and that's really all he's good at I think. He's goofy, and gets old after not too long.

Eddie Izzard- BRILLIANT! Best New comedian!

Mike Myers- I like him, he's pretty good, definately has one of the better post-SNL careers.

Chris Rock- Of the stereotypical black comedians,he was alright early on. Now it's kind of old.

In addition, no one seems to mention the Upright Citizens Brigade. Great comedy troupe!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Seen it, have it dowloaded, have a bunch of bootleg stuff from live shows. I think I have a total of 6 or 7 hours of his stuff.
  11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I downloaded his comedy central presents, but I couldn't find any other bootleg stuff. Where did you get it from? Off of KaZaA?
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    :eek: Nasty! I hope he didn't hit you! :p
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    iMesh, actually.

The files are:
    America Rules
    Brea Improv (pt 1 and pt 2)
    Take a Joke America

And then there are a few scattered files of various bootlegs. Those are the best ones.
  14. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    These are mostly greats.
    I really like Chris Rock though.

but nobody's mentioned......

15. Nobody does the story telling of Richard Pryor anymore. The Wino and Junkie is just brilliant classic comedy.

My Favorite these days is BRIAN REGAN and DAVE ATELL. These two make me ROTFL everytime.

Brian Regan live is one of the funniest (and clean, never works blue) comedy records in a decade.
  16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Richard Pryor - Funny. Good stand up comic, good actor. Had a base pipe blow up in his face, that's not funny but - but gives way to a lot of jokes (by others, about him...)
    George Carlin - Super funny, possably the best stand up comedian ever.
    John Cleese - I don't even know who that is.
    Bill Murray - funny, great comidic actor.
    Steve Martin - just okay, often more annoying than funny IMO, I don't know why he's had so much success.
    Robin Williams - not too funny, very annoying - see above.
    Bill Hicks - I don't know who this is either...am I out of touch or what?
    Jim Carrey - the king of over-rated unfunny annoying jerks. Gets on my nerves - he makes my skin crawl and almost never makes me laugh. I hate Jim Carrey.
    Eddie Izzard - who?
    Mike Myers - Very taleted and funny sketch comedy / comedic actor. I like him.
    Chris Rock - Super funny guy... his stand up is some of the best of our time.
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

18. All those guys are great comedians.
  19. JMX - I'm laughing so hard at your "came in the restaurant" comment right now.

As for my favorite comedians, I like John Cleese and Robin Williams the best off that list. Cleese is brilliant. :D
  20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Robin Williams 2002 Boradway DVFD is one of hte funniest things I've ever seen! :D

Georgle Carlin is probably the funniest on the list. 30 years of complete hysteria :D I've never failed to laugh out loud at his skits. He just makes those silly Politicaly Correct arguments and just makes them seem so ridiculous. Absolutey Hillarious.

Bill Murray is a funny guy. He's had some many great movies. It just works so well for him.

Mike Myers is great as well. Great comedian, actor, and he loves hockey! What more can you ask :D

John Cleese is a classic. So many great characters :)