what do you guys think about this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mr. RC, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Imho,
    looks nice :)
    I´d guess Germany around 1940.

Needs a doctor !
    Top has several repairs and refinish.
    The one side shown looks nice.
    Nice back but...has the neck been broken off ?
    I would asume so because the area around the button is darkened. Needs a new endpin.
    Bridge is totally misplaced and top is damedged around this area.

The bass might have a nice sound ! Can be a nice bass but you have to call a luthier :)

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    what do I think about this bass...

I think I would like to see another two dozen photgraphs. It could be a good deal, but the seller may not be able to move it in his area: and there's always ebay. No bass can be well represented with five photgraphs. Are you going to bid on it?
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

4. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I am thinking about possibly bidding on it. If all goes according to plan I could end up only paying $800 for a German ply. I am trying to find a bass and I don't want to pass up this oppurtunity but on the other hand I don't want to end up with something that I will have regretted purchasing. The guy said that he would offer a week long trial period for a full refund only if I could pick up the bass, which will not happen. I guess I'll just see what happens.
  5. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Well, it went for $600 plus $200 shipping.

Were you the one that got it?
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It closed with '0' bids...

7. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Oops! I missed THAT little detail. :rolleyes:
  8. Hello, I am PIANOMANRRIII, seller of the double bass that Mr RC was talking about. I ended the auction because I had it ispected and found it was worth more. Whoever made the fallowing assumtions about the bass did a good job. It is a German Solid Carved bass from the 1950s. I decided not to sell on ebay and rather sell through recycler.com (southern california classified site). It is also slightly repainted.
  9. """((PS))
    By the way, the neck hasn't been broken off as far as I know. I'm planning on having a new carved top and a pro-sand and paint job. Any idea how much that will cost?"""

Why on earth would you replace the top ?
    Have a good luthier repair it instead. The cost of a new top with a good finish by a professional luthier
    will most likely exceed the value of the bass.
    Especially when considoring all other parts that need to be looked over such as
    bridge, strings,end pin, dressing the board.

Maybe some of the pros here at he forum can give you a ruff estimate.

10. That's like wood chips and mulch, right?
  11. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    After viewing the profiles of pianoramii and Dragevitzky I am very glad I didn't purchase this bass. I looked at the two profiles and realized that the birthday and teachers among others were the same. Dragevitzky posted on a new thread about Eastman basses and named the problems with his current German, 1950's, unlabled bass (much like the one described above) . They include:

1. Soundpost has fallen and I fixed it to the best of my ability without special tools.
    2. Bridge needs to be replaced.
    3. Nut has been worn all the way to the fingerboard (currently using PAPER to set tension)
    4. Bass has been abused by a previous owner so there are numerous scars and scratches
    5. Numerous unprofessionally sealed cracks (very obvious)
    6. Cracks along F-holes which are causing one side of the top to collapse (needs readjustment every 2 weeks or so)
    7. Entire bottom half of the seem of the top is cracked apart (70% of the entire top to be precise and the bottom half is flatening)

After all I got lucky that I didn't bid on the bass and exposed the ills of purchasing a bass sight-unseen.
  12. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Too bad there isn't some way you could get him slapped on Ebay for that. His feedback profile shows that he likes to sell things there.

A collapsing face and open seam are a far cry from "Major sealed crack shown in photo".

Since you didn't actually win the bid on that pig, there's probably nothing you could do, except dog him, by emailing this information to everyone who bids on one of his auctions after this.

He seems to like to sell keyboards & synthesizers there, starting about a month ago, shortly before both of him joined Talkbass. (11/30/02 and 12/01/02)
  13. So what!!

My former name was Pianomanrriii but I changed it because I liked this one better. I didn't know how to change my user name.

I had the bass that Mr. C was talking about on ebay and stopped the auction early because I had reinspected. Did he think I was trying to scam him or something. If I was, I wouldn't use the same birthday and location...yeesh
  14. To that person who said I should be slapped...What are you talking about? I don't have a profile under Dragevitzky on ebay, just pianomanrriii. And I NEVER said the bass was in mint condition. The bass was still playable but if you lable that many things, it appears that is not. That is why people email sellers before bidding. Doy!

Instead of slamming me for reasons you aren't even sure about and acting on ignorance, do your research or just ASK before you attack someone. That's rediculous.

If this was offensive, sorry.

((PS)) Men don't slap other men, they kick thier asses. What are you, French?
  15. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I don't know whether MR RC thought you were trying to scam him or not, he probably does, and *I* certainly do.

When you compare your description on Ebay to the laundry-list of problems you posted here, it certainly looks to ME like you were trying to scam anyone who put in a bid on it... which was almost Mr. RC.

Not listing major problems like THOSE (and most of the others, too) in a seller description, because it might cause someone not to buy it, is known as "Fraud".

You're lucky that MR. RC didn't buy the bass as you described it THERE, and have it arrive as you described it HERE.

He could have ended your Ebay career over something like that.

And you'd better hope I NEVER see that bass for sale anywhere on the internet without all of it's faults listed after this, because you can bet that I'll be in touch with anyone who puts in a bid on it, or accepts a listing for it's sale if so.
  16. "THE BASS WAS STILL PLAYABLE..." I meant to say "The bass IS STILL playable", which does change contextual meaning. The bass in the auction IS still playable although I am just not satisfied with it's cosmetic appearance, which may or may not alter the sound down the road.

Therefore the buyer would have bidded on a playable bass with any imperfections shown in the non-retouched photos. How is that scamming? If you have time, please elaborate.

The buyer wouldn't be recieving an instrument that couldn't be played and that was in worse condition than photos.

I value my integrity so please prove to me that I am a scammer so I can iether defend myself, or not make that same mistake.
  17. "And you'd better hope I NEVER see that bass for sale anywhere..." ********

Don't use threats. That's not what this site is all about. They aren't nice and are cowardly to be said without me confronting you in person. What you should have said is "If I find that bass for sale, I will..."
  18. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    That sums it up pretty well right there. You've essentially said, "If I told the TRUTH, nobody would buy it!"
    There are things wrong with the bass, things that you KNOW are wrong with it, and you deliberately exluded them from your Ebay description.

If you don't see anything wrong with that, then you'd do well to stay away from selling things online until you've learned how things work in America.
    6. Cracks along F-holes which are causing one side of the top to collapse (needs readjustment every 2 weeks or so) is NOT a cosmetic repair

7. Entire bottom half of the seem of the top is cracked apart (70% of the entire top to be precise and the bottom half is flatening) is NOT a cosmetic repair. These two are necessary and expensive structural repairs, not cosmetics.

The fact that the bass can be played is not a justification for leaving "little details" like that out of a description when selling it.
    For that matter, a bass that is needing readjustment every 2 weeks of so and that doesn't buzz [only] because the nut is shimmed with paper doesn't fall into "playable" category in most people's estimation.

The worn-out (mis-repaired?) nut, and bridge, should have been included in your Ebay description, because those are necessary repairs too, though not really expensive ones.

The problem is that when you are describing something for sale online, and you deliberately fail to disclose things of that magnitude, it constitutes fraud.

There's no dishonor in offering a piece of junk for auction, so long as you make it plain, up-front, that it's a piece of junk.

The cost of repairing this bass might make it worth the cost of repairs plus the cost of purchasing it, or maybe even more. People buy "fixer-uppers" all the time, and especially when it comes to stringed instruments.

But people who aren't expecting something that needs several hundred dollars (at least) in repairs rarely appreciate receiving such by surprise.