Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you guys think about...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jphase88, Nov 25, 2004.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    I was wondering what (if anything) i should know about these amps before i buy them. What are some things i should know about the amps. Something the emplyee of the music store wouldn't know or tell me? Which one would suit my needs more.I play mostly Christian music. I play for a church.

Ashdown MAG C210T
    [​IMG]
    Ampeg BA115
    [​IMG]
    Ashdown Five-Fifteen Club Combo
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you guys think about these amps. If you have any other recommendations, please tell me. Any Amp under $500.00 USD will be great. Thanks guys

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I owned and played a BA-115 for three years and loved it but it's sound is certainly not hi-fi. But, since neither are the Ashdowns you're obviously not looking for that sound. The Ampeg will give you big bottom, it'll hiss if you turn the highs up much above 5, but it's an excellent amplifier. I loved mine, it was a workhorse and served me well. Used they're an excellent bargain. There's also a BA-115HP model with 220 watts which is closer to the MAG in power. Your call, can't go wrong.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Ashdown MAG series is made in China, I believe.

4. God wants you to get the MAG 210. God also says that Ampeg makes a 210 version of that amp. The 210 configuration would sound better in a churches, which usually have tough acoustics and you need the focus of two 10" speakers.

God does not want you to get the practice amp.

5. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    which amp is the practice amp? and did u mean any 2x10 amp will be good? or the ampeg 210?

6. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    i really really really do NOT like the BA-115. i know tons of people that have them because you can get them used for cheap (apparently everyones selling them). i have to play through one at my school too, but it IS loud for a little combo but its mostly good just big low end. if your looking for good tonal capabilities its not the amp for you, once you play through a nice high end setup you wont want to go near the BA-115. im sorry that this is a complete negative post and im not recommending anything to you, becaues i havent played those ashdowns, but just beware of the BA-115.

7. I consider the ashdown 5-15 a practice amp for some reason, maybe because it only has 100 watts.

I would also recommend the B100R rocket bass, even though it too is a 100 watt 115. This contradicts what I said about needing the focus of a 210 and more than 100 watt 115. I just like the sound, look and concept of this amp.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--AMPB100R

I can't say what the acoustics are in your church so I do not know what is going to work.

But my first choice would be that ashdwown Mag210. You can always stack it on top of a 115 to get the full wattage and more volume.
    If you go with ampeg, see if your dealer will sell you the rocket bass B100R at a good price, which has a very warm and pleasing tone.

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I had a BA115HP and I play in a church and a rock band. I could get a good sound out of the Ampeg and it has a mute switch and a built in tuner, which all come in handy in a church setting. We play everything from CC to P&W to old hymns. I usually play a Spector Euro 5 and a Cirrus 5. I sold the Ampeg when I bought a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. I haven't played the others mentioned though. Good Luck.