1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you guys think? (GK content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by double_stop2584, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hey TBers...thought I'd post this and get some thoughts from you guys...I'm gonna call the amp repair shop tomorrow and ask them the same questions.

Here's the gear:
    GK 1001RB-II in a SKB case, and a 410SBX cab.

So here's the general info:
    I've been touring for a while now, on the road, having gear in a trailer...basically my amp and cabinet are getting the usual road wear.

Here's the backstory:
    My amp died on me right before a gig, about a month and a half ago. I took it to the repair shop and they fixed it, saying the problem was the bridge rectifier dying - so the AC power wasn't being converted to DC power.
    (Warranty covered until November '09, by the way)

Here's the current problem:
    Anyway, I took the amp home and plugged it in to my speakers, to make sure it worked, power-wise (my bass was at my girlfriend's apartment). Well I turned it on, the clip light went on for a split second, and instead of having the power light turn from red to blue, it just stayed on red. I turned it off right away, and then tried it four or five times....the light stayed red. I was pissed, because I had to go on the road for another week without an amp.

So I return after a week, and just to check it again, I plug the amp in and turn it on (without the cabinet plugged into it). Lo and behold, the blue light comes on.
    So I plug the cabinet into it and try again. Just the red light. I try it again and again, same result...but suddenly, JUST as I'm turning it off, the blue light blinks on. So I turn it on again and the blue light comes on (along with a little popping sound in the speakers right when it turns blue...not a scary thing, just the sound of the "door opening" i guess you could say).

So I FINALLY get a chance to plug my bass into it today, and it works...however there seems to be little clicking noises, pops...I can't tell if it's the amp or the pickups, or cables, or speakers, or whatever...it's little things that will make me paranoid, but might not be anything major....

Anyway, here's my question: The amp DOES work...should I take it on the road and just play it and see how it does? Should I take it back to the repair shop just to be safe, even though there might not be any problem for them to fix?

Just venting and seeing what people think...thanks for reading this long post if you made it this far!

2. I'd get a backup head before I leave. that way you're not up a creek if your GK bellies up on you again. I had a similar experience where the dreaded red light came on for a day and miraculously went away when I took it to the shop. I haven't had a problem since but I do have a backup just in case.

3. Is it possible that the speaker cable is shorted out (or the cabinet for that matter)? If it only happens when it it plugged in, I sure wouldn't plug that cable back in! Do you have a DMM to check the cable and cab with?

Ox.

4. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really know what a DMM is.

I don't think the speaker cable shorted out because it was producing sound from the bass...maybe that one paragraph was a little confusing, the bass was coming out of the amp, it just seemed to have a few little pops, blips, sounds that i couldn't tell if it was the amp or just the pickups/inst. cables/speakers/etc.

I do have a SansAmp BDDI that I've been using for the last month and a half...that's all the back-up I can afford...at least it works, but I miss my GK sound.

5. A DMM is a Digital Multimeter. The are used to check resistances, voltages, etc... Really all you need is something to check the continuity to make sure that the cable is not shorted. Can you just replace the speaker cable?

EDIT: This may be obvious, but NEVER check anything while the amp is on, plugged in or while still may have a charge stored (like in a capacitor)! Remove the speaker cable while checking it... don't leave it plugged in the amp. Again, sorry if this is obvious, but amplifiers can be dangerous and sometimes we don't think when we are testing something "simple". If you are at all unsure, seek a professional.

This was the section that made me think that the speaker cable or cab may have a short in it. If that is the case, it could be intermittent as well which is why you heard pops when you were playing, but it didn't do it all the time. If you cannot be absolutely certain that it is something like the speaker cable, then I would certainly take it back in for repair. That is a high powered head and not something that should be taken lightly if there is a short somewhere. Be safe!

Ox.

6. I have another speaker cable I can try on it, so I'll do that tomorrow when the neighbors aren't sleeping.

Would the speaker cable shorting out cause the amp to stay in "red light mode" though? Because when I turned it on WITHOUT the speakers hooked up, it went to the blue light in the usual amount of time...but when the speakers were hooked up, the red light either stayed on, or switched over after an unusually long time for the first couple times, and then went back to normal.

I'm starting to think I should definitely call the amp repair place tomorrow and get their take....and quite possibly keep the amp off the road until i get a better road case (shockmount) and new cabs...

I was planning on upgrading my rig soon anyway, and maybe it would be best to give it a break until it's ready for being on the road again.

7. The amp protection circuit will read an abnormal load (like a shorted cable or speaker) and not allow the power amp to engage. Fallow the advice on the cable or cab issue, your amp is trying to save you major repair problems.

8. Awesome, that answers my most recent question exactly. Thank you.

This is my only cab (and my only rig, because I had to sell some stuff to stay afloat), and I've been gigging it on the road (in a trailer) with no case or cover, because I couldn't afford it. I'll try it with another speaker cable, but the two cables I have are pretty damn new and haven't given me any trouble before, so I'm starting to lean toward the cab having some trouble...I'll check the warranty on that too.

Thanks for the help guys.

9. No problem Bro G-K is kinda my thing (don't ask how an old tube guy got there, I just did). Anything can happen in the electronics and cables are no exception, to much stripped insulation and a push or twist of those wires in a speakon can = short, cables pulled by the wire instead of the connector shell and a 1/4" cable can short if the center is not insulated seperately. Lots of possibilities in the cab as well.

10. Update:

I took the amp back to the shop, along with both speaker cables, and he's gonna run some tests on everything just to double check. He was perplexed because it's a problem that's totally unrelated to the original problem.

A possible thing: He mentioned he'd run a "Thermal test" on it, and explained how the cooling fan works, and I told him that I noticed that sometimes when I would try to turn the amp off and on (when the red light stayed on the whole time), I would notice the fan stop moving when it powered down - so there's a chance it's running really hot for some weird reason...

11. Any update?!

You have piqued my interest...

Ox.

12. Well, they looked it over, and said they can't find anything wrong. So I'm just as confused as them.

They've now checked all my speaker cables, and the amp.

The guys at the shop said that it's HIGHLY unlikely that something wrong with the speaker cabinet would cause the amp to stay in protect mode like that...but you know, I have beaten the crap out of the speaker cabinet, so they may be surprised if they had the chance to look at it.

But - the cabinet isn't under warranty, and I don't have the money to take that in right now.

So for the next month and a half (until my road trips are over), I've got my trusty SansAmp BDDI, and some powered monitors. All my gigs for the rest of the year are college shows - small rooms and short sets, so I've learned to deal with it.

After that - leaving the band, moving on to new gigs - rebuilding the rig.

Ox - how much does a DMM go for? Are they easy to use, for those with not a lot of techie experience?

13. Cheep ($30 to $90 is more than you'll need), Radio Shack, Sears. Read the manual and any other questions can be answered here or on the web. DMM's are simple to use, fallowing safety precautions is the hard part.

If the cab shorts (or goes much below 4 ohms) the amp will go into protect.