Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Do You Guys Think Of Bone Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm not getting one, or anything like that, I've just never heard these discussed before. Does anyone have any experience with one?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Looks nice enough.

3. Interesting. Especially the name. See if you could do some more research for us woodchuck

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think the builder is located in the San Diego area.

5. Yeah, his name is Jamie White and he works (or used to work) at Taylor Guitars. I had one of his basses--it's the flame maple fretless with cocobolo board on the bonebasses.com site. I think somebody here or on another board ended up with it. It was a real nice bass, very attractive with great tone and great workmanship. But I'm not a fretless kinda guy so I sold it before I could really fall in love with it.

6. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i think they look kinda cheesy, but never played one before. :oops:

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    to be honest, I never liked the look of a bass without a cut upper horn (I have no idea what it is really called).

With the upper wing going all the way to the 12th fret (or where ever it actually gets to), it looks too wierd. I have always liked upper horns. I think that is why I also hate the look of most tele style guitars...

Just my opinion.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Hi,

As funkycarnivore has pointed out, luthier Jamie White works out of his garage in the San Diego area. His basses are mainly sold through bass alone.

I was intrigued by a fretless 5 with Lane Poor passive pickups when I visited Bass Alone some 2-3 years ago. John DiMaggio gave me Jamie's contact #. He eventually built me a fretless 6 for the price (then) of US$1700. Very reasonable considering the workmanship and attention to detail. A great guy to deal with, and I'd highly recommend checking his basses out. I'll post a pic when I can.

specs:
    walnut body
    7 piece mahogany/wenge neck
    rosewood fixed bridge
    zebrawood top
    cocobolo fingerboard

I think Mike Dimin has posted in another newsgroup concerning Bone Basses.

The bass itself has generated some interest amongst bassists in Singapore (where I now live) when I do gig with it. Lots of sustain with that characteristic fretless mwah, it definitely cuts through the mix. Records quite well too.

The avatar designs are fairly new. He did not make those then, so I don't have any opinion of them.

Hope this helps.

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont like basses without an upper horn, i hate that huge lump of wood. Other than that i really like the inlays

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    UPS just dropped this off...

sweet!

[​IMG]

More later:D

11. You know, if it was someone other than Brad, I'd be surprised... :D

Either way, congrats!

12. I'm not too crazy about that wood colour, but that looks like a sweet bass. Congrats! Not like you needed another nice bass though. . .:D

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The color is actually much deeper and darker.

It was too good a deal to pass up... even for me;)

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've had a couple come through the shop. Nice basses. I know John was the only dealer I had ever heard of selling them. I believe he no longer sells bone basses though, not sure, I could be wrong.

John did design the Avatar a year or so ago.

Brad, you did get a good buy. I saw the price when John posted it. Keep us posted on the out come of it.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    John is replacing this one with another Avatar but I'm not sure it he's still carrying them. I'm going to start a thread for this particular bass. So far it's very nice.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm in "what??

[​IMG]

:):bassist:

Thanks, Josh.