What do you guys think of Eric Avery from Janes Addiction?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassplayingdan, Feb 2, 2003.

1. i think hes pretty good but i was wondering what you guys thought about him.
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Great player, Hooks, Rhymic, sometimes even melodic. Perry wrote more of that music then you might think though because you rarly saw him with a string instument.

I think alot of him very understated and therefor underated.

3. I was kind of thinking that he's respected by quite a few musicians but aside from that, he all that popular. He doesnt have mad chops but hes a good player in spite of that. I've heard Art Alxises (sp?) of Everclear praise him and I also heard he inspired Paz from APC to pick up the bass.
  4. I'm a MASSIVE Jane's Addiction fan and I've been singing his praises on here for ages .

I think he's a perfect example of a good pick player .

And he looked cool .

[​IMG] :cool:
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i was told by more than one source that Avery was the brains behind JA
  6. I hope that doesn't mean theyre gonna suck without him.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The new bassist with JA is Chas Chaney, right?
    IMO, that's a step or two up...whether that translates to 'better' music, I dunno.
    Something about me still prefers Bill Wyman in The Stones vs. Darryl Jones.

I only had two JA albums(Ritual & Nothing's Shocking...care to point out something "great".
    And I mean "great"...not "good".

BTW, the very 1st night I had a bass...the self-proclaimed Clapton down the street(older brother of a friend) said this when he saw how low I had my bass slung-
    "Keller, you can't look 'cool' & play at the same time".
  8. Isnt looking cool the bassists job in a band?

9. Yeah !

Chris Chaney is good , I love his tone , but he could move around on stage once in awhile .

Still , when Hypersonic comes out in May , I think his bass parts will rule , or at least be better than Martyn or Flea's would have been .
  10. BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i just gotten more into jane's addiction....i heard of them awhile ago, but only now can i appreciate em more. the echo-ing vocals and psychedelic guitar tribal drums and the melodic catchy basslines....thats somethin new to me

and i must say eric is a great player plus he looks way cool, even though his lines arent hard to play theyre the core of JA's songs....great tone as well man, reminds me of duff mckagan's

anyways i heard he auditioned for metallica after jason left, anyone has clips of that?
  11. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Is he jaw-droppingly technoliciously awesome? No. And that's why I like him. He just played kick-ass bass in a ground-breaking rock band. :bassist: I didn't really care all that much for Strays and haven't followed JA at all since it came out. I take it there is a new album coming out sometime soon?
  12. Enden

May 1, 2006
    Voorhees, NJ
    I love his playing. Sometimes when checking my tones I'll do riff from No One Is Leaving. Good player.
  13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Who gives a crap if a player is 'technical', and what does that even mean anyways? I judge players by the lines they write and how well they frame a song. By that standard, I'll take Avery over Wooten any day. IMO>
  14. Enden

May 1, 2006
    Voorhees, NJ
  15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

Disclamer, I was only replying to the implied statement that a bassist must be 'technical' in order to be considered in the bass pantheon. I LIKE dirty bass players. :D
  16. avery is a good solid player but more importantly a great songwriter. he and perry wrote pretty much all the songs for the the self-titled debut, nothing shocking, and ritual lo habitual over a very short period. i'm a HUGE JA fan but was real disappointed with their last release. chaney is a great player no doubt but he is sorely missed in that band. i think it's telling that the best song on the 'strays" was "suffer some", which was actually written by the original lineup years earlier but never released.

i can't say enough about avery. check out his post-janes band polar bear, and deconstruction.